Home > Trip Reports > May 8~9, 2015, Starry Night on Snow King

May 8~9, 2015, Starry Night on Snow King

5/8/15
Posted by Kenji on 5/10/15 9:42am
Another long over due place, decided now is better than never.  I did hear about a steep "trail", but didn't know the road is closed at 1200'! Being first timer there, I spend sometime looking for ways to skin around the bumps on the ridge, eventually made it to a nice open camp for star gazing.

Spent an hour looking for a way onto the ridge (right of the Cyclone Lake), but the best way seemed to be by crossing the lake, which I was a bit hesitant.  So went back on the left main ridge, eventually reaching the summit.

Skiing was great, but short.  No I didn't ski off the very summit, that's for more dedicated skiers.

Then back slogging down over bumps, boulders, steep path, old road back to the car.  A gorgeous views and many slopes to ski, though the approach was rather long for short skiing.  I'd plan at least two night next time.  More pics here.
Otter Creek and Slide lake via Illabot road is another way to go; starts at 2800'. I think it may get you in quicker...  but I've not gone in via Cascade River.

Great pics as always, nice to see the terrain from the other side.

Great Photos!  Myself, and Steven were the two other climbers you saw while skiing back to your camp!  What a great peak!

Gorgeous. The pictures make me want to revisit.
My only shot at Snowking was an aborted attempt nearly half a lifetime ago.
I no longer remember what our plan was, but it was apparently a bad plan because there are still some PTSD images of being tangled up in green (slide alder).

Reply to this TR

may-8-9-2015-starry-night-on-snow-king
Kenji
2015-05-10 16:42:56