Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2015, Timberline - Silcox Hut

May 4, 2015, Timberline - Silcox Hut

5/4/15
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Zap on 5/5/15 12:33pm
For 18 years,Ron and Jeanette have put on a small-group hut trip for 3 days at the Silcox Hut.  Jill and I wanted to meet up with them and make a few turns.  It was a great sunny day, but you could tell there was a storm coming in. The Silcox Hut is a wonderful place with easy access to some fun terrain nearby.  There was a small group of 18 for the catered event.  Today there were a few climbing Mt. Hood, a couple doing the circumnavigation of Hood, and some touring to Illumination Rock, Zig Zag Canyon,  etc€¦

The snow pack is getting smaller. The Stormin Norman, Magic Mile and Palmer lifts were running.  The access to Magic Mile required you take off your skis/board to travel 5 foot of dirt to get into the lift access area.  You need to ski/tour a bit early unless there is strong wind forecast, but remember the rocks are growing.

The purpose of the trip for us was to see Ron and Jeanette and some of the other folks we know from touring with them.  It was so nice to share some stories.  Ron had a heart attack last year and came back from the dead;  Ron and I both had strokes 3 years ago and came back. We learned that you need to live today as if it is the last day, and you need to enjoy it!  There are so many TAY folks who have been on trips and classes with Ron and Jeanette, and those who learned some wonderful lines nearby.  We have seen young couples learn to make turns and how to travel safe. We enjoy meeting at the trail head., then we do a €œsenior stutter€ and let the younger group go and  break trail.  If you see Ron and Jeanette at the trail head, remember he can €œout wait€ you.  Great to see you both again.  I've known Ron since before Charles Eldridge created TAY, so it's been awhile.  Good going buddy!  Also great news about getting the free lift ticket after you hit 71+.

Zap & Jill  ;)
The Silcox Hut is such a civilized way to experience the alpine.

I've also hid behind it's leeward walls in the inky blackness of a pre-dawn storm, but I much prefer the inside ;)

Thanks for the recognition and the kind words, Zap.
It was really fun to see you and Jill during our most enjoyable ski trip of the year.

Hope to see you there next year. We've keep the Silcox reserved two years out... used to be 5 years but the hotel cut us back to 2. I guess as we get older their confidence in our showing up diminishes, eh? :)

This last year has given me a new perspective on one of my favorite sayings "Cheated Death Again". It doesn't seem as near as funny as it used to ;)

Will get some pictures up when time permits. Per chance some of the other participants will also contribute as well.

Zap and Jill, it's always a pleasure to see and ski with you, thanks for the kind words.  Yep, Ron and I were also around before TAY and BI (before internet :D), seems quite funny to remember when we actually had to call people on a "real" telephone.  Nice to have both you and Ron back from those serious health issues, and looking so wonderful. Must be the mountains, it keep you young at heart and spirit.
A line from one of my favorite country songs is, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was".  Sure felt that as I finished our tour on Mt Hood ;D.  Looking forward to many more years of great trips to the Silcox Hut.

wonderful report! - thank you zap!

Ron,Jill,Jeanette,Zap

Reply to this TR

may-4-2015-timberline-silcox-hut
Zap
2015-05-05 19:33:39