Home > Trip Reports > May 2, 2015, Little Tahoma and the Fryingpan

May 2, 2015, Little Tahoma and the Fryingpan

5/2/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Shred on 5/5/15 9:10am
With the warm, pleasant weather slated for the weekend, Rowan Stewart rounded Andy Traslin, Freebird, and Myself to ski Little Tahoma Peak.
We got an early... for us...start of 7:30. Walking the cush Wonderland trail up to the Fryingpan creek drainage was cruiser and quite enjoyable. We hit a continuous snowpack a few hundred yards above the upper foot bridge, at an approximate elevation of 4500'. Perfect skinning conditions up to Meany Crest and Whitman Crest.
Steep snowfields above the Whitman Glacier took us to within 50' vertical feet of the ridge scramble to the summit. Topped out around 4ish and screwed around on the summit for a spell. Clicked in to our skis and  dropped in at 5:00, racing the refreeze on the Fryingpan Glacier Icefall. We didn't make it. It was fairly firm, but smooth. Then tasty butta corn on the lower angled terminus corn fields.
The corn is in, go harvest!

Here's a little vid I threw together (No pack pitching in this one though) :)
https://vimeo.com/126977004
Yes! Highly enjoyable vid.

Man, I'd love to get out with you guys. Very compatible styles :) .

Cool, I like the exposure footage. Good warm-up
for the next Rainier ski descent.

most excellent vid,

...seems like you could have gone a bit faster though>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

Great video. I saw you guys from the interglacier. The butter was in for sure.

Another awesome edit Jeff!! Thanks for the stoke, and thanks to Freebird for leading the charge up little T! 8)

Very inspiring also, I might ad. Well done!

Nicely done-

I noticed on the MRNP site that the Sunrise Road is listed as closed - did you bike it or is it open to Frying Pan Creek?  Cheers.

Great tour and fun vid.
Thanks for posting the stoke!

Thanks all!
Chamois,  the Sunrise Road is open to the White river camp ground.

What everyone else said, great fun to watch your video, thanks.

Reply to this TR

may-2-2015-little-tahoma-and-the-fryingpan
Shred
2015-05-05 16:10:50