Home > Trip Reports > May 2, Kitling Pk.

May 2, Kitling Pk.

5/2/15
Posted by tabski on 5/4/15 1:37pm
Camped Friday night with some friends on Hwy 20 to give us a nice start for Kitling Pk. the next day. Too much fun by the campfire limited hours of sleep, but still made the 5am planned start. Friend J and I headed out on foot and began skinning at the stream crossings before the meadow. Made it to Kitling Pk. and summited around 10am. Didn't approach high point due to big cornices in the area. Made ski descent finding frozen snow and/or just-softened snow between shadow and sun, and crossed paths with a group of friends on the ridge who were headed out for an overnigher. Slopes above Easy Pass were brilliant corn, below it already too soft. Car at 1pm. Very cool experience overall with an awesome partner. I hadn't been to Easy Pass before and man, is that a spectacular perspective on some stunning terrain.
Not sure if that was you, but we heard whoops and saw ski tracks late Saturday afternoon below the N face of Cub from across the way--we were just getting up to camp on Ragged View (Peak 6730).   No signs of instability we could see on your track, not even the slightest slough triggered.

Conditions Sunday am were great on the ridge and N slopes for cramponing as everything froze overnight on those aspects.  More southern aspects had wet sugar postholing up Trumpet (Peak 6865), but still no instability or sloughing after leaving camp at noon even on S aspects (we were snowshoeing, not skiing).

author=tabski link=topic=34224.msg141224#msg141224 date=1430800652]
I hadn't been to Easy Pass before and man, is that a spectacular perspective on some stunning terrain.

No kitling! The last time I was there I swore that I would return the very next week to sample some of the surrounding goods but, alas, that was a couple of years ago now...
A real embarrassment of wealth we have in great skiing!

Hi Eric, that was our group who was skiing Cub. There was a near disaster when one of our group's ski took off down the hill, making it nearly 1000' down where it stopped, unharmed, in some heather above a cliff!

We took 2 south facing corn laps before heading down the Mesahchie glacier Saturday afternoon. Nice corn on all of those runs. We found a good campsite below the glacier next to running water. Lack of a clear plan and consensus among our group of 7 led to a late morning on Sunday. (Maybe one could blame it on the libations, but that's a hard case to make since we were all asleep by 10.) I think we left camp at 10:30 the next morning. We still made a good day of it and skied across the lower Katsuk glacier to the notch N of Kimtah, where we got a corn run on Kimtah glacier and a mushy run back down the Katsuk to camp. We also had a nice run down pt 7690 as we worked our way back to Easy Pass.

Certainly awesome terrain all around that area. I'd like to go back and explore more!

Sweet! Sounds like a neat place to explore.  Got any pics?? Cuz if you don't... it didn't really happen. :)

kam,

So the whooping was saving the ski from an untimely end?

We were wondering where you went after your run, as we didn't see any ski tracks down Kitling Creek as we were coming out Sunday.  Looks like you got your money's worth of runs, not to mention quite the workout doing laps!

author=shred link=topic=34224.msg141248#msg141248 date=1430856809]
Sweet! Sounds like a neat place to explore.  Got any pics?? Cuz if you don't... it didn't really happen. :)

Just for you, Jeff:  http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1000138#1000138

Hi Eric, the whooping was from an amazing glacier run down the Mesahchie! The ski had been saved a while before. We ended up camping in the basin below the glacier, next to a nice stream. Our exit was back out Easy Pass, the way we'd come.

Thanks Eric!

This area does not disappoint. Kitling on the left from from an epic pow lap on the Mesahchie last month-

Some photos courtesy of Will S.
First is the S side of Cub, with Logan in the background.
Second is our run down the Katsuk glacier, with the lower part of Katsuk and Mesahchie peaks behind.

Gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration.

author=kamtron link=topic=34224.msg141266#msg141266 date=1430928831]
We ended up camping in the basin below the glacier, next to a nice stream. Our exit was back out Easy Pass, the way we'd come.

Exiting via our route back to Easy Pass would save the big elevation hits going back up to the Kitling-Cub Col and the hump up out of Fisher Creek.  Not that brushy, so wouldn't be a big deal once the skis are off.

Would've loved to have had an extra day to go up your ski route on the glacier to tag Cub, that route looked sweet.

Reply to this TR

may-2-kitling-pk
tabski
2015-05-04 20:37:32