Home > Trip Reports > May 2-3, 2015, Eldorado

May 2-3, 2015, Eldorado

5/2/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Pete A on 5/4/15 11:20am
Haven't seen any recent TR's from the Eldorado area, so I figured I'd post a conditions update. Trail is in good shape, only a couple logs to crawl under.  The majority of the boulder fields are completely snow free. We kept sneakers on till about 5200ft and could start skinning at 5400ft. 
The snow was unconsolidated and skis sunk in a bit heading up to the Roush Cr. Divide, snow firmed up and was supportive once up on the Inspiration Glacier.  If you know anyone heading up soon sans skis, snowshoes might be wise€¦we saw more than a few folks post-holing knee to thigh deep on their way down Saturday.
Clear weather Saturday night allowed for a good freeze and it made for easy travel up to the top Sunday morning. Skied down from the summit ridge around 11ish and had a fun mix of packed powder and protocorn back to camp.  Back down Roush Creek around 12:30 and had wonderful high-speed corn all the way to the divide.   One can either climb up the usual 'chute€™ but it was faster and easier to boot the continuous snow immediately south of the chute.    Unfortunately Eldorado Cr. drainage was a mushy mess as it had been getting more morning sun. Hit a few rocks eeking out a few final turns back to 5200ft, though I would expect the lowest 200-300vf will be melted out soon.
Did run into a couple fellows Sunday who were finishing up the Forbidden Tour.  We saw their tracks down the Forbidden Glacier Saturday and were rather curious to hear how sporty their descent was.  If you nail the correct gully, it does appear there€™s still an all-snow route to the lake and they said the lake coverage was 12€ of bare ice.   Fair bit of open water at both ends of the lake and what appeared to be some big cracks too though. Might be worth packing a life jacket if you still wanna give this tour a go this season :)

more pics here-
https://picasaweb.google.com/113589492689912715272/EldoradoPeak?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Nice chatting with you below the summit. What a great day!

Reply to this TR

may-2-3-2015-eldorado
Pete A
2015-05-04 18:20:15