Home > Trip Reports > May 3, 2015, Cascade Pass Conditions Update

May 3, 2015, Cascade Pass Conditions Update

5/3/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by allenat@ylor on 5/3/15 7:15am
Headed up yesterday with the goal of doing magic S loop but turned around at base of climb to Cache Col due to rotten snow. Coverage isn't bad up there all things considered. Area around Pelton Creek is still filled in, there were only 200 meters of bushwhacking to get to snow from parking lot below the pass. Snow on the Cascade river road side of the pass was feeling consolidated and we were optimistic, over the pass was a different story. Snow was not sliding much yet (1pm) but it was extremely rotten (pole penetrated and just kept going on down). Even with skis on was sinking up to boot top in spots. I think the snow up there needs a week or two of cold clear nights before it will be in a good place. Even on the most north facing terrain we encountered there was only 1/2" of frozen snow on top of endless mush.

Also if you are headed up there bring a bike! Road is totally clear accept for a few washouts but is gated at eldo TH. I took a road bike up there with road tires and only had to walk it 100 feet.
Thanks for the update!

There was cloudy cover on Friday night, so the snow didn't get a good freeze. Might be ok with a bunch of clear nights?

On the plus side, the snow from Cascade Pass down to the trailhead was maybe the best I've ever skied on that line. Snow that's normally bumpy with debris and filled with tree pieces and rocks was (relatively) smooth and soft.

Reply to this TR

may-3-2015-cascade-pass-conditions-update
allenat@ylor
2015-05-03 14:15:33