Home > Forum > South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!

South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!

• john green
  • [john green]
More
28 Apr 2015 07:17 #224489 by john green
I've read Amar's great writeups on South Sister done from the south ridge. I've been sking Bachelor and eyeballing that sister and waiting for her to hurry up and lift up her skirt.

Currently the highway is still closed at Bachelor, although there's a couple loaders sitting ready and there isn't much snow at all left on the road. When do they expect to open it down to the trail head?

Once the highway's open, is the Girl immediately bidness-ready?

All info appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2015 08:43 #224491 by NickM
I'm excited too. I remember reading an expected opening of "mid to late April" a month or so ago in the news, so I'd guess it'll be soon. The local mountains have been going in and out of great spring conditions since November, so I'm sure the South side will ski nicely once this latest round of fresh snow goes through the cycle. As of this Sunday there was over 1' of fresh on leeward slopes up high, but this sun is doing quick work.

Also, Devil's lake is at 5500' or so, which is a decent bit below snow line in nearby areas. I'm bet there will be some dirt hiking involved, but luckily the trail gains vert quickly. Bend seems to have a very dirt-averse skiing community, but we sure have some epic backyard terrain if you want to get there. None of Sisters really seem like the 'lifting skirt' variety to me, though a good bit of effort gets you plenty of business. Have fun out there! Don't forget there are two other sisters...

• Timstirling
  • [Timstirling]
More
28 Apr 2015 19:21 #224498 by Timstirling
Replied by Timstirling on topic Re: South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!
In my limited experience, as soon as the road as open it is good to go. The lower part is obvious and will follow summer trails. You then get to the treeline and just trudge ever closer (pleasant on the ascent with hard snow, fantastic view and early excite but can be tedious if the snow goes very sloppy on the way back down). On the mid-mountain there are a few variants, some will be better or worse depending on the snow but there isn't any bad choices. I have seen crevasses on the lewis and Clark glaciers, but they were obvious and narrow.

Views are breath taking.

I miss oregon!

• thatoneguydave
  • [thatoneguydave]
More
29 Apr 2015 08:24 #224503 by thatoneguydave
Replied by thatoneguydave on topic Re: South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!
John,

Skiing the South Sister is one of my favorites. In general all the volcanoes in Oregon are a lot of fun with options galore. South Sister is good to go as soon as you can get to the trail head, if not before with a snow mobile. I went there two years ago and camped at the lake half way up to enjoy the sunset and the peace and quiet. There are multiple lines you can take coming off the mountain, so many you will just want to go back up again as the ski is lovely. Enjoy and jealous...I don't have any weekends to get down there until the fourth of July, which is when I try and ski it, but I don't think that will be happening this year.

- Dave

More
29 Apr 2015 10:51 #224505 by NickM
Thar will be a wee bit of hiking from what the Bachelor cam shows. Brown meadow at bottom left is Sparks Lake.
Attachments:

• john green
  • [john green]
More
30 Apr 2015 12:56 #224512 by john green
Replied by john green on topic Re: South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!
Thanks for the POI tip, now I get a sense of how little snow there is!

Based on what I see on the north side of Batch, it makes sense that S Sister would be dry down to about 7k. I'm guessing that's 4 miles of walking on the brown stuff.

• irwinator
  • [jirwin3637]
More
30 Apr 2015 16:45 #224515 by irwinator
Replied by irwinator on topic Re: South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!
Hey John, I did SS last year July 5 my first time. I don't think even this low snow year will be 4 miles before snow. I'm thinking 1 at the most. If you are looking for a partner PM me. I live in Bend and could probably get away this weekend.

• Timstirling
  • [Timstirling]
More
30 Apr 2015 17:48 #224516 by Timstirling
Replied by Timstirling on topic Re: South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!
You agin height relatively quickly on the bottom so he snow lien should be too far.

More
01 May 2015 12:22 #224521 by DG

You agin height relatively quickly on the bottom so he snow lien should be too far.

And this week's puzzler is...

• john green
  • [john green]
More
01 May 2015 15:02 #224522 by john green
Replied by john green on topic Re: South Sister Beta: Thorough Schoolin Needed!
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether he was advising me or threatening me . . .

FWIW, highway past Bachelor is now OPEN.

More
04 May 2015 08:28 #224527 by Jason4
Check the instagram hashtag #almostfamousvolcanotour to see some shots of a Sisters traverse from early last week. There were 3 splitboarders that made the traverse from north to south and might give you an idea of what conditions were like then.