Home > Trip Reports > April 20-23, 2015, Tirolean Sellrain

April 20-23, 2015, Tirolean Sellrain

4/20/15
Posted by silaswild on 4/23/15 4:42pm
Just back from Abruzzo Sunday night I got word that Wolfgang had called with a plan for the next four days of perfect weather. After a nice Wiener schnitzel and good sleep, I had a leisurely breakfast and Alfred explained Wolfgang's plan. I got ready while he cooked up some Kaiser schmarrm for lunch. Weight loss trip this is not!

Late in the afternoon I finally began the warm skin up in sloppy snow to Westfalenhaus for dinner with Wolfgang and the entertaining hut owner from Rome. Next morning after a full breakfast we skinned Langentaler Weisser Kogel and skied 2000' of untracked 6" powder followed by 1000' of sweet corn. Another filling meal and a chat with a 75 yr old Lady with a history of 7000m Himalayan climbs capped the day.
Wednesday we started late to give softer snow on our traverse of Hoher Seeblaskogel and perfect corn descent to Winnebachseehutte. There we had a nice dinner of mixed salad, chicken curry with rice, and vanilla pudding served by a young rock jockette with big biceps. I asked if she'd been to Yosemite and she said "no thanks, it's beautiful here."  Full meal deal with hard mattress and soft blankets for $35, ten bucks cheaper than Asulkan Hut without food and blankets!  Both had great gemütlichkeit tho. :)

Yesterday we came out over Winnebachjoch hoping for powder turns on Westlich Seeblaskogel along the way but the wind had spoiled that. A broken binding toe piece just down from the col gave me a nice walk back to the Westfallenhaus and then crust over knee deep slush plunge steps. I skied a bit on one ski, good practice, wish I were better at that. The cross country ski trail road we had skinned in three days before was now bare and a cold wind was blowing storm clouds in as we reached the car.

Then in this morning's Innsbruck newspaper I see our tour as the suggested "tour of the Weekend".  Perfect timing, thanks Wolfgang.
Silas, thanks for the great Euro skiing story, have you been in this area before?  After a chat with Mike R. I think I might be able to post a picture from Facebook, but my plate has been too full to spend any time on it.  But now, I just look over Polly's sholder to see your pictures! You lucky dog, ridding the wave of a depressed Euro to boot!

Reply to this TR

april-20-23-2015-tirolean-sellrain
silaswild
2015-04-23 23:42:07