Home > Trip Reports > Diamond Peak, OR, 19 April.

Diamond Peak, OR, 19 April.

4/19/15
OR elsewhere
Posted by dfhkvs on 4/19/15 1:17pm
Super fun trip this weekend. I love Oregon; gorgeous summit with only FOUR other people there. We camped at Corrigan Lake trailhead. Road was totally clear. Patchy snow up to the lake and beyond to the round-the-mountain trail. About 1-200 vertical feet above the RMT we were able to start skinning (creatively). It's a very different approach climb than others I've done (MSH, Adams, Hood). Relatively dense forest hides views of the mountain until the very end. You just have to keep heading east!

Very warm and completely calm at the summit. Views were obscured by some haze, but we didn't care. Every single aspect (NW bowl, SE bowl, SW bowl) looked great. We dropped SW at 2 pm. About 1-2 hours too late; it was very soft. But, still, great turns. Evidence of one large wet slide (yesterday?). After the bowl, it was back into the trees for some adventurous turns back the way we came.

Loved it, and will go back again some time. I found the climb rather hard. Lack of sleep, a head cold, and the bushwhacking all added up. But, good friends and good conditions.

If I was to do it again (SW bowl), I'd probably choose Pioneer Gulch trailhead - the one called rock pile? Seems like that would give you a simpler entrance and exit.
We were one of those few people climbing Diamond Peak with you! We've done it in mid-April three of the last four years, and the snow levels this year were dismal. Last year, we started skinning at about 5,000 feet; this year, we couldn't put skins on until 6,000.

We also started at Corrigan Lake TH this year -- starting at Rockpile TH is way more fun!

Due to the recent loose wet avalanche and lots o' pinwheels in the middle of the SW bowl, we opted to climb the West shoulder to the false summit and ski down the north facing aspect, which provided about 45 seconds of downhill action. Sounds like you guys had more fun, but it's hard to complain about a day in the mountains!

Ah, we wondered what happened to you guys (and your dog?). I was actually thinking Pioneer Gulch Trailhead (not Rockpile) would be the best, and it lies essentially at the base of the SW bowl? Glad you guys made it up and down ok! That large wet slide in the W bowl must have been from 1-2 days prior. We skied down to its toe; impressive in size.

Reply to this TR

diamond-peak-or-19-april
dfhkvs
2015-04-19 20:17:00