Home > Trip Reports > April 18, 2015, - My Way or the Teanaway

April 18, 2015, - My Way or the Teanaway

4/18/15
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 4/18/15 2:14pm

Dan skis with Mt Stuart in the distance.

East met West when Tom Janisch and Mike Rolfs (from the Inland Empire) converged with Dan Peck and me (from Pugetopolis) for some skiing above Esmeralda Basin. We left a surprisingly empty parking lot and hiked an unexpectedly snowy trail to Ingalls Pass, where we switched to skis.

Finding good consolidation above the pass, we skinned and cramponed up South Ingalls Peak and had a fun ski of the SE flank.

Mike skis South Ingalls Peak.

Then we climbed Fortune Peak and skied fine corn snow on the south slope to timberline. We climbed back up Fortune for a second lunch and skied the NE flank back into Headlight Basin.

Tom points his headlights into the basin. (Happy birthday Tom!)

Eventually, we returned to Ingalls Pass and Rolfskied our way back toward the cars, with a fairly short walk down the snow-free trail at the end.

We agreed it was a wonderful day and marveled that all the other skiers seemed to have gone someplace else.

When this is the worst snow of the day, it's a pretty good day.

Great day Lowell.  Thanks for the S. Peak suggestion.  That was a highlight.  The other highlight was the "meet-up' crew on Fortune Pk. handing out fortune cookies.  The price for a cookie was to read your fortune aloud followed by "in bed".  A super day.  Thanks!

The adventure was real, the scenery world class, and the company first rate!  I'll try to post pics in a couple of days when I get back from my travels.

You should definitely frame that second photograph.  Really nice.

author=lrudholm link=topic=34148.msg140904#msg140904 date=1429449811]
You should definitely frame that second photograph.  Really nice.

Agreed! Great shot.

Nice pictures, sure looks like a great trip, Dan, you were dressed for photo success with that red wind shirt!  And that's a great shot of Mike taken through the tight terrain. Thanks.

Here are a few more photos:

Dan tele-hop turning above a narrow and steep spot. 

Lowell enjoying the terrain

This is Lowell on our last run making the cooked snow look like it's still firm corn.  Just to the right of him, you can see my tracks where I punch through the surface.  It got tricky at the end.

Broad open slopes.

A swarm of activity on Fortune Mountain.   With fortune cookies!

author=mikerolfs link=topic=34148.msg140900#msg140900 date=1429421051]
The price for a cookie was to read your fortune aloud followed by "in bed".  A super day.

My fortune:

HA! I was wondering!

You guys are brilliant.  So much for high risk punch through isothermal mush.  Way to get after it yet again.
I miss the changing of the lead picture on the site as the seasons roll.  Radka's shot is as beautiful and emblematic of what pulls us to go as a picture can be.  But let's bring back the changing lead pic!  It's Spring (forget for a moment the winter we just had) - I nominate that second shot of Mike ripping it for lead pic.

I'll get on it when I'm back from Penticton, Pete.

Thanks Marcus!  Much appreciation to all our great photographers.

Reply to this TR

april-18-2015-my-way-or-the-teanaway
Lowell_Skoog
2015-04-18 21:14:47