Home > Trip Reports > Late March pow at Icefall Lodge, BC Rockies

Late March pow at Icefall Lodge, BC Rockies

4/15/15
Canada BC
Posted by discostew on 4/18/15 2:33am
This happened in March, but I'm guessing no one reads March TRs anymore so I thought I'd post here. 

I went to Icefall Lodge (icefall.ca) in the western BC rockies for the last week of March. it was the best week of shredding I've ever done. We did everything from tree runs to high alpine glaciers weaving through crevasses and massive seracs, and rode nothing but powder for a week.  We averaged about 1500 m a day for 7 days, which in my book is a lot of pow.  The highlight for me was the best run of my life - a 900 metre vert, sustained 40 degree slope in 2 feet of pow with massive cliff walls on either side.  Our guide said it was a "slightly above average" week.  I think a good week would blow my mind. 

At the risk of making it harder for myself to book a spot next season, I have to say that if you like backcountry skiing, you are blowing it if you don't make it to this place at least once.

Long, sort of repetitive video of all the down:
https://vimeo.com/125130438

Pics of the up:

The run of my life happened down the obvious gap in the rocks in the background:

We rode this 400 metre pitch called Home Run right back to the lodge to end off almost every day. it never got old:

Some of our group set off this size 3 while they were bootpacking up the ridge:

not a bad lunch spot:

The view from our room:
Nice! Went there on a guided trip with Martin Volken the first year they opened.

Must have been fun being there the first year.  I imagine you got some first descents!

Our guide Pierre told us they're opening a new lodge next season somewhere east of Revy if I recall correctly.  Smaller groups and more north facing terrain but smaller skiable vertical relief than Icefall.  It's definitely on my radar now.

Reply to this TR

late-march-pow-at-icefall-lodge-bc-rockies
discostew
2015-04-18 09:33:15