Home > Trip Reports > April 16, Rainier, Fryingpan Creek

April 16, Rainier, Fryingpan Creek

4/16/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by frankfrank on 4/17/15 5:27am
White River road was good for biking, though there was snow starting above 3700ft (about 3 miles in) -- substantial patches or more, only about 1 to 2 inches deep. I imagine that is now quickly melting.

The Summerland trail was a lot snowier than when I hiked it in February, but still not good skinning until about 2 miles from the trailhead. Snow cover gradually increased from there. Once out of the forest, I went up the middle of the braided stream basin, which mostly worked, but the summer trail on the other side might be ok too.

Snow in the flatter areas of the basin had a nice crust (with good corn at 10am). Above that were varying amounts of softness and mushiness and stickiness. Not much escaped the sun. Even north aspects were affected (if less than ~35 degrees).

I visited a small bowl just west below Meany Crest and also the saddle overlooking the Emmons drainage (where the SW ridge of Goat Island Mountain begins). Some of the runs down that I made were awkward, so please avert your eyes if you happen to visit the area before time erases my somewhat atrocious tracks.

Anyway, was a lovely day. Bright sun, big spaces, excellent company (that is, nobody for miles). I could spend some more time out there.

Awesome! We felt the same about the company in Glacier Basin recently

Reply to this TR

april-16-rainier-fryingpan-creek
frankfrank
2015-04-17 12:27:07