Home > Trip Reports > April 2-10, Mt Adams, N and S routes

April 2-10, Mt Adams, N and S routes

4/2/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by river59 on 4/11/15 2:52am
Just wanted to let all of you TAYers that Adams is in!

I have made numerous day trips up the standard south side, north cleaver, and adams glacier routes.

Snow is continuous above about 4800 ft on most aspects. The 8040 road is open to cold springs, despite what you might read on the GPNF homepage. The road to killen creek has some deep snow, but is passable to all but the lowest of cars to .2 miles short of the divide camp TH. Pickups and those with sturdy shovels should be able to make it over to killen and beyond.

Get out there before the fair-weather climbing hoardes descend. I have had the place all to myself and I am getting lonely up there all by myself.

Great info! Do you mind sharing more about the Adams Glacier conditions, and maybe a picture of the Northwest ridge exit? Thanks!

Sweet, thanks for the report!

Adams has been in since November.

author=Patarero link=topic=34092.msg140724#msg140724 date=1428849067]
Adams has been in since November.

Way to rub rub our noses in it. GPNF is not doing a good job at updating the road conditions this year. In reality I was letting you all know that roads are passable.

Kam - Unfortunately my nice camera decided to quit working last month. I dont have any pictures to share other than one I took with a potato from below the adams glacier. If you really want it, I can figure out how to upload it tonight.

No big deal river59, I'm just always psyched for more information/stoke-enhancing pictures.

author=river59 link=topic=34092.msg140758#msg140758 date=1428956663]
Way to rub rub our noses in it. GPNF is not doing a good job at updating the road conditions this year. In reality I was letting you all know that roads are passable.

Just sayin, never know unless you go.  Probably been the best part about this crappy winter, no problem accessing Adams without a snomo.  Surprise lakes snotel provides a pretty good idea of what the snow depth might be along 23 and 8040 up to cold springs.     

I am thankful for your update, thanks mate! 

Reply to this TR

april-2-10-mt-adams-n-and-s-routes
river59
2015-04-11 09:52:54