Home > Trip Reports > April 09, 2015, Silver Star Col

April 09, 2015, Silver Star Col

4/9/15
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by dmarzilli on 4/9/15 5:11am
After skiing some of the more popular spots on WA Pass last weekend, I wanted to try something a little different in search of some powder. Had been wanting to try Silver Star after seeing some people's heli photos. Didn't see many TRs on it so wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily, I was able to talk Pavel into joining me for a day trip up there. Unfortunately, we got a little offroute trying to navigate the creek since there isn't much snow, so it ended up taking us an extra hour and a half just to get to the basin. If you stay high on the east side of the creek, there is a decent book pack.

Found boot deep light dry powder on the north facing slopes > 5500 ft. A few tracks were seen but were covered up either by the wind or new snow. Snow seemed pretty stable on the glacier. Lots of sluff falling off east/west facing cliffs/slopes later in day. Can start skinning ~5k.

We got socked in on the descent so didn't get as good of turns as I would have hoped, since visibility wasn't too great. Of course, it cleared up as we got down lower. If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes.

Pavel breaking trail

Woops!

I think this is suppose to mark the trail???
Nice photos,  I especially like the woops shot!

author=telefly link=topic=34083.msg140670#msg140670 date=1428610829]
Nice photos,  I especially like the woops shot!

I agree, the whoops is a good photo. Also I like the one above whoops.

Cool.

I like whoops too.

Thanks for the great photos, flat light can sure take the fun out of great snow!

Reply to this TR

april-09-2015-silver-star-col
dmarzilli
2015-04-09 12:11:49