Home > Forum > Mt Adams beta?

Mt Adams beta?

• nickwiarda
  • [nickwiarda]
More
08 Apr 2015 06:50 #224371 by nickwiarda
Mt Adams beta? was created by nickwiarda
Anyone have beta from Mt Adams? I saw the TR from 3/27, am wondering if there is anything new with updated conditions. Thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Patarero
  • [Patarero]
More
13 Apr 2015 16:58 #224398 by Patarero
Replied by Patarero on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
Creamy goodness on leeward slopes below 7500 yesterday. Skied from cold springs, no carries. Snowmos all over the place. Watched a group ski down from lunch counter while we were sitting on South Butte, did not look fun. Road is getting rutted/sloppy mud in a few spots.

More
15 Apr 2015 12:22 #224407 by water
Replied by water on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
Patarero

confirm you are driving to cold springs? even with some lower snow levels huh? hmm...

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
15 Apr 2015 13:11 #224408 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
Posting here to endorse this as the canonical "Adams conditions?/Is the road to the TH passable?" thread for 2015 rather than having 17 random ones as always seems to be the case.

• Patarero
  • [Patarero]
More
15 Apr 2015 15:44 #224409 by Patarero
I drove up to, and parked at the cold springs trailhead Saturday April 11 (white out) and Sunday April 12 (rig:4x frontier). Parking was very limited in the campground on Sunday due to snow. The road was entirely melted out by the afternoon on April 12 once out of the trees at cold springs. There were probably ~7-10 big rigs up there with trailers along with a few suvs. The road is getting a bit rutted out in the muddy sections. In a low clearance rig I probably would not go much past the last hairpin. There is a section right before the trees that you might get high-centered. Snow line was ~3-4k last night.

More
15 Apr 2015 19:06 #224411 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
Not to hijack the road conditions thread, but are people snomobiling up directly above Cold Springs?  That hits the wilderness boundary pretty quickly.  The Mt Adams District USFS office in Trout Lake might be interested in that.

• Patarero
  • [Patarero]
More
15 Apr 2015 21:05 #224413 by Patarero
Yes, saw three in the wilderness zone. Everyone else observed the wilderness signage.

• Patarero
  • [Patarero]
More
18 Apr 2015 08:58 #224437 by Patarero

Did you report the three you saw to the Rangers?

Did they do anything about it?

If there are snowmos on Adams, there are snowmos where they are not supposed to be, kinda like death and taxes. Ranger station is closed on weekends right now.

More
19 Apr 2015 21:28 #224443 by water
ill have a full photo report avail soon. snomos at lunch-counter and a bit higher even. going to be on the horn with TL RD tomorrow morning.
as well, can one ride a dirt bike or a 4 wheeler on the south climb trail up to the wilderness boundary? if not, i'm very confused about why a snowmo can ride on the trail for large melted out sections and make a horrible mess.

spoke with father and son who camped at lunch counter on saturday 4/18 and confirmed seeing riders up there. They said they heard there was a USFS truck parked below that had a trailer for two sleds so they wondered if that was some FS personnel and they got close enough that they didn't see any markings whatsoever that would lead them to think it was FS persons (which it wouldn't be anyways). That said the FS persons truck and trailer (sans sleds) was parked there this morning (4/19) and evening..not sure what they're doing up there-would be interested to hear.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
20 Apr 2015 11:09 #224448 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
Kind of a funny side note to the snowmobile story: Two guys passed us as we were skinning through the trees down low. They had skis with them. I don't know where they left their sleds, but we ended up passing them towards the top of Pikers. Human power rules!

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
20 Apr 2015 19:29 #224449 by Good2Go
Replied by Good2Go on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
I don't know what the snomo rules are down at Adams, but it's been such a bad year, they're as desperate as we are for some spring snow fun.  And there aren't many options.  Baker is the normal late season snomo destination, and it basically never opened for sledding this year.  No excuse for breaking the rules if that's what happened, but I suspect they normally have the run of the place this time of year.

BTW - Anybody have recent shots of the White Salmon/Avalanche Glaciers?

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Apr 2015 20:40 #224450 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
You can get a partial peek at the west side from mtadams.tv .

• Patarero
  • [Patarero]
More
25 Apr 2015 16:49 #224473 by Patarero
Skied on Adams today, started out nice and quiet, one skintrack through the fresh snow, light wind. Made it the bottom of south butte and the brap brap gang went over the top of south butte and up suksdorf. Another crew shredded crescent glacier to the point I didn't even bother taking a lap on it. Everything between Crescent and South butte had snomo tracks on it by the time I came down. If you find this unacceptable please send an email to Jamie Herrera Beutler via her site: herrerabeutler.house.gov/ and cc her outreach director This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your concerns.

More
25 Apr 2015 18:26 #224474 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
WOW... THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
25 Apr 2015 19:45 #224476 by water
get any pictures of offenders? will be up tomorrow with telephoto lens. ..maybe piano wire

would also notify Mt. Adams Ranger District & GPNF. I spoke with them this past week (they had attempted to use some 'techniques' to help enforce which obviously failed-being vague since these jackasses very well may glean info from here)

Mt.Adams Ranger District
District Ranger: Mosé Jones-Yellin
Phone: (509) 395 3402

GPNF:
Supervisor's Office
(360) 891-5000

More
25 Apr 2015 20:42 - 25 Apr 2015 20:46 #224477 by nbsar
Replied by nbsar on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?

get any pictures of offenders? will be up tomorrow with telephoto lens. ..maybe piano wire

would also notify Mt. Adams Ranger District & GPNF. I spoke with them this past week (they had attempted to use some 'techniques' to help enforce which obviously failed-being vague since these jackasses very well may glean info from here)

Mt.Adams Ranger District
District Ranger:  Mosé Jones-Yellin
Phone: (509) 395 3402

GPNF:
Supervisor's Office
(360) 891-5000

Piano wire?  Killing with your car is legal, but piano wire isn't.  You may want to re-think that.

Edit to add:
x2 on the request for photos! That is helpful in identifying when incursions take place and when they do, catching the d-bags.

More
25 Apr 2015 21:12 #224478 by water
Was an entirely rhetorical statement meant to convey degree of my displeasure.

I suppose if every snomo rig & trailer had flat tires that might elicit LEO/ranger presence to the area.

I will be ready with my camera. I had two of these shitheads come by me on the trail near the car last weekend-ripping up the tread where there wasn't snow but was not ready with camera.

More
26 Apr 2015 14:11 - 26 Apr 2015 14:28 #224479 by DG

Skied on Adams today, started out nice and quiet, one skintrack through the fresh snow, light wind.  Made it the bottom of south butte and the brap brap gang went over the top of south butte and up suksdorf.  Another crew shredded crescent glacier to the point I didn't even bother taking a lap on it. Everything between Crescent and South butte had snomo tracks on it by the time I came down.   If you find this unacceptable please send an email to Jamie Herrera Beutler via her site: herrerabeutler.house.gov/ and cc her outreach director This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your concerns.

Thanks Patarero for the link.  A message can also be sent to Gifford Pinchot Nat Forest at www.fs.usda.gov/contactus/giffordpinchot/about-forest/contactus.

Just so everyone is clear - this is deep in a wilderness area.  Snomos are not prohibited on Mt Adams - it's the wilderness they are trespassing on.  Makes me wonder if this actually happens all winter, and the early melt just makes it noticeable this year.

WA St is very clear on using motorized vehicles in wilderness - punishable with $500 fine/6 months in jail penalty:

www.parks.wa.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/908

Wilderness isn't just to give people a quiet place to recreate - it's important for wildlife too - wolverines have been sighted in that area:

www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/wolver...mera-on-mount-adams/

I know, preaching to the choir...

More
26 Apr 2015 23:26 #224481 by water
WA state park is not relevant. This is federal land. up to $5000 fine and 6 months of jail.

Only saw 2 snomos in Wilderness but it was while we were near top of Crescent Glacier. I have a picture of 1 but it is at such a distance as to not be useful, as they were maybe 1/2 mile inside the line. They left before we got there--no trailer in lot even.

But here is the proof. Tracks all up to South Butte. Up ridge that goes to top of South Butte. High marking all over Crescent Glacier. Entire area is wildly tracked out. I wish ill will to those who did this. This link is publicly available please share anywhere relevant.
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxYl3RAq...fTTJPT0U&usp=sharing

• Norseman
  • [Norseman]
More
28 Apr 2015 08:16 #224490 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
I sent a note to the GPNF over this issue and included the Google Drive link.

I got a an email reply from a (the?) Wilderness Manager, who stated that he was investigating the incident. He asked about the photos and whether I had any other information. I replied with a "sorry, no", but included a link to this thread.

Speak up if you have pictures or information!

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
28 Apr 2015 10:32 #224492 by Good2Go
Anybody actually ski Adams recently? Hoping for a conditions report.

More
28 Apr 2015 10:59 #224493 by water
well see what Patarero says but yes on Sunday we went. Started clear but eventually got a lenticular then clouds closed all around. down low in the AM it was a supportive crust that if you stomped it would break, I worried about skiing it later. We managed top of Pikers but it was unpleasant, nearly white out even though more wind deposition powder and fresh snow was falling. But it wasn't uniform with patchy bits of ice here and there. best turns of the day possibly from upper LC to top of Crescent Glacier--just the most consistent snow there. Crescent and below was incredibly heavy slush, and rutted with deep snomo tracks.

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
28 Apr 2015 11:13 #224494 by Good2Go
Thanks! Sounds like it hasn't quite gone into the corn cycle yet. Might have to head elsewhere.

More
01 May 2015 09:28 #224518 by Albeer
Replied by Albeer on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
Watching forecast freezing levels is a good way to know when corn will ripen. My number for Adams would be roughly equivalent to summit elevation. Works for any mountain.

• frankfrank
  • [frankfrank]
More
01 May 2015 10:20 #224519 by frankfrank
Replied by frankfrank on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?

Watching forecast freezing levels is a good way to know when corn will ripen. My number for Adams would be roughly equivalent to summit elevation. Works for any mountain.

What forecast gives freezing level?

More
01 May 2015 12:19 - 01 May 2015 12:25 #224520 by DG

What forecast gives freezing level?

www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod....=pqr&pil=ZFP&sid=PQR

Also, don't forget terrain aspect, time of day, cloud cover, wind, and how many days since the last snowfall. :)

More
01 May 2015 15:28 #224523 by water
yeah that FZ level works well. Adams is going to be bombdiggity this weekend. expect a very full lot reminiscent of two weekends ago, but with less or no snomos. If there are any I suspect there will be ranger presence.

More
04 May 2015 08:26 #224526 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Mt Adams beta?
Check the instagram hashtag #almostfamousvolcanotour. The ladies are on Adams right now, they climbed Hood yesterday, Jefferson on Saturday and traversed the Sisters early last week. It might be a good way to keep up on conditions as they go.

More
04 May 2015 19:11 - 04 May 2015 19:23 #224530 by DG
The wind was brutal from lunch counter up today, so the snow was not fun above there, but the skiing was good below.  Neat to hear about the almost famous tour - they were cruising!  The Cold Springs parking lot is closed for the next few days for tree removal, so you have to park about a 1/3 mile below, but we didn't see anyone working up there.  Continuous snow doesn't start now until around the wilderness boundary.

More
04 May 2015 19:33 #224531 by water
good report. sorry to hear about wind, that's no fun--can make the most beautiful of days lousy.
Sunday was nice, bit windy right at pikers but less wind on the plateau and summit and below pikers--must have just been funneling through there. SW chutes skied lovely--so nice.. full coverage and a short skin over the the lip/edge of crescent bowl and a fun drop down from there back to the wilderness boundary