Home > Trip Reports > April 4, 2015, Maple Pass to Frisco to Rainy lake

April 4, 2015, Maple Pass to Frisco to Rainy lake

4/4/15
Posted by SquakMtn on 4/5/15 2:39pm
Drove to Rainy pass yesterday for a tour off of the recently opened N. Cascades highway. On the drive up there was zero snow and we were getting nervous when at 4500€™ the snow appeared and at 4800€™ Rainy Pass there were 6€™ snow banks.  Early morning ski travel through forest was rugged on hard refrozen tree dripped snow.  Once we broke out into the open the snow was very firm and smooth with an inch or so of cold snow on it making for difficult skinning on the long side hill above Ann Lake up to Heather pass (ski crampons made it easier). When we attained the Maple pass ridge at 6600, conditions were cooler with about 3€ of cold snow on the crust and fun, winter-like skiing conditions.  We did a quick lap down to the Maple Creek basin 5200€™ level on the back side which was smooth €œnature€™s groomed€ skiing. After we returned to the ridge we followed it south to a shoulder of Frisco peak at 7000. On the back of the shoulder was another deluxe bowl of skiing down to a tarn on a bench above Rainy lake.  From the bench to the lake took a bit of billygoating to find a route through the cliffs but eventually we were down onto the lake and skinning the flat ¼ mile back to the car (in a "normal" snowpack this would be easier.  All in all a great tour with over 5000€™ of climbing and decent conditions given the season we€™ve had. 
There was good 2-6" of light powder above the smooth crust in the upper bowls above Rainy and Ann. It skied great!

Glad to hear the Lyall-side skied well - we debated heading north vs. south this weekend and ultimately decided to head to Chinook instead of Hwy 20 because of approach length and concerns over snow depth (or the lack thereof).

Any photos of Mt. Hardy snow cover? Thanks

I looked through all my shots from the day and all I have is this shot that gives a sense of the snow cover in the area.

Reply to this TR

april-4-2015-maple-pass-to-frisco-to-rainy-lake
SquakMtn
2015-04-05 21:39:49