Home > Trip Reports > 4apr2015, silverton, sultan

4apr2015, silverton, sultan

4/4/15
Posted by skykilo on 4/5/15 1:23am
Skied Sultan Mountain, ~13,360 ft yesterday.  Micah and I loaded our packs and walked to the first switchback above town on the highway, then changed into ski boots and booted up a steep ridge with remarkably consolidated and supportable snow for the Rockies.

First view of Sultan Mountain.  First we skied directly from the summit down through a hidden chute, then we climbed to the minor summit on the ridge on the right and skied the little chute down that.

Nice views above town on the ridge.

I had a scary binding failure after the little chute.  Glad it didn't happen in a more importune place! 

Nice recycled alpine pow off the summit.

Great turns.

Might be the first time I've liked a picture somebody took of me with an iPhone?

Climbing for the second ski objective, Sultan in the background.

Epic creamed corn.

author=skykilo link=topic=34045.msg140538#msg140538 date=1428251028]
I had a scary binding failure after the little chute.  Glad it didn't happen in a more importune place! 

Glad to see that you're still ski mountaineering down there, Sky. What kind of binding and what failed? Any pics?

It was a 1st generation Plum Guide and one wing of one toe made a clean break, no way to salvage it, had to ski 2,000 vf with some steep bits on one ski.  I remember seeing a report of something like this on TGR years ago when the bindings were first released and perhaps newer versions have been modified.  Will likely post a picture of the binding later.  Glad not to have lost the ski; it still has plenty of life remaining!

Nice tele turn

https://youtu.be/6z9Cg46Nktw?t=3m51s

Should have sent it full throttle anyways. One of my favorite "ski movies"

Thanks for the TR - awesome outfit.  Glad nothing serious happened with the breakage, yikes!

Great pic of Silverton down in the distance in the 2cnd or so photo. 

I have a customer in Durango and always look forward to driving the million dollar hwy south out of Ouray thru Silverton from CB, CO.   What a beautiful area!

Very stable conditions for sure this spring.

Thx for posting. Tony

Reply to this TR

4apr2015-silverton-sultan
skykilo
2015-04-05 08:23:48