telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/19/17, 04:30 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  March 2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  4/1/15 - Summit West, April Fools!
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4/1/15 - Summit West, April Fools!  (Read 1791 times)
pipedream

4/1/15 - Summit West, April Fools!
« on: 04/01/15, 01:27 PM »

It should come as no surprise that in the winter that wasn't, Old Man Winter would deliver a foot of new in Snoqualmie Pass while riding his lion out of March. Fitting that it fell just in time for April Fools Day - but there's no joking about how much snow was on the ground this morning.

Pulled into the empty parking lot of Summit West at 8:15 this morning in the middle of a heavy snow shower. Quickly donned skins, shedded layers and headed uphill, breaking trail in a foot of thick, wet snow. About halfway to the top of Pacific Crest, a younger fellow on skis caught up to me yet never seemed to catch the drift that perhaps he should repay the favor and help break trail so I ended-up busting trail all the way to the top. He was the only person I saw all morning and he headed-off towards Wildside to explore the steeper pitches. I did a lap about halfway down until the snow began to significantly thicken then headed back up for a top-to-bottom to close it out. It's always nice to follow your own skintrack - you really can't complain. The snow at the bottom was very heavy and difficult to slide sideways through. Fortunately I was able to use my poles to maintain my balance and momentum and didn't need to unstrap until reaching the small creek 5 steps away from the car. Clouds and snow showers drifted in and out with the occasional, but very brief, sun break between them.

Hit the road just in time to catch Dan opening up the Aardvark for the day - snagged a breakfast sandwich and drove it over to Alpental for brunch. A few more inches of snow at the bottom there than at West, but coverage was looking much sportier. As I started to walk back to my car, Armstrong began to slowly spin so perhaps there's hope for some lift-served on the upper mountain. After all, it is only April 1st!

Set
« Last Edit: 04/01/15, 02:19 PM by pipedream » Logged

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
Charlie Hagedorn

Re: 4/1/15 - Summit West, April Fools!
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/15, 10:46 PM »

Yow -- that looks better than I'd expected. Gotta go (or wait for Pipedream to go) to know!

Thanks!

Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.