telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07/24/14, 12:18 PM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2005 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  November 2005 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  November 27, 2005 MRNP
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: November 27, 2005 MRNP  (Read 6929 times)
Mad_Dog

November 27, 2005 MRNP
« on: 11/28/05, 01:19 AM »

What a difference a couple of weeks make, last week sunning and sipping cool ones on the beaches of Puerto Vallerta, this week skiing some of the best snow so far. Ron, Jerry and I met at the Tall Timbers in Eatonville for our usual breakfast stop before heading to Paradise.  We arrived at Longmire at 8:45 a.m. the gate already open!  The road to Paradise was icy with compact snow and ice all the way to the upper Paradise parking lot.  Seemed rather strange, there really weren't many cars or skiers gathering in the lot.  Our Paradise "spy" Robie, reported to us from his Saturday Paradise ski as to where the best "goods" might be found.  We ran into Scotsman, Jibber, and Snoslut in the lot.  With our secret knowledge we headed east of Edith Basin.  Once we had decided upon one of several slopes, we did a couple of different stability tests with a pit test and ski cut, determined that the 6 to 8 inches of light fluff was stable.  The temps remained in the low 20's throughout the enitre day keeping the snow champange like  Grin.  Our group skied several different slopes with first tracks on all, enjoying fantastic light snow all day. We ended our day on "Pillow Talk", with pillows and pillows of light snow right to the lower Paradise road.  Skinning up the lower Paradise Road to the upper parking lot, Scotsman and Jibber had to take one last run down, "last chance", where Scotsman yelled from the bottom, "this is the best snow of the whole day"  Cheesy.  Of course we were all saying that as we made our way around to some of our favorite runs  Grin.  Ron and Jerry kept their camers clicking and rolling and should have some photos to post later.    

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
Scotsman

Re: November 27, 2005 MRNP
« Reply #1 on: 11/28/05, 02:26 AM »

Last Chance nearly turned into Last breath. It was extremely difficult climbing back up to the road. JibberD and I basically crawled back up the slope on our knees as the slope was so deep in fluff. It honestly was the best snow of the day. You shoulda tried it Wink
Great day, great friends, great snow.
Nice meeting you Snowslut. That's one hell of a steep skin track you put in with those splitboards.
Grin

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
snoslut

« Reply #2 on: 11/28/05, 02:47 AM »

For sure good times!  Mad_dog's tr summed it up pretty well.  JW and Ronj's picks should seal the deal.

There were face shots throughout the day and maybe a tree shot or two.  From time to time I would have to scratch them roids as there was only dust on crust instead of boot deep just the turn before.

That's one hell of a steep skin track you put in with those splitboards.

I was giving her all she got captain.  Warp speed Mr. Sulu.  Likewise it was nice to meet ya Scotsman.  Good to see you again Jibber.
« Last Edit: 11/28/05, 02:49 AM by boarddude » Logged

You will know when Americas in trouble when the Mexicans stop coming...Carlos Mencia
Lahar_Dar
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 11/28/05, 03:32 AM »

"From time to time I would have to scratch them roids as there was only dust on crust instead of boot deep just the turn before."  Bwwwaaahhhhhh, ha,ha!!  Funny stuff, slut.  
JibberD

« Reply #4 on: 11/28/05, 03:50 AM »

Nice report Jeanette.  It was a wonderful day in the park and great to see you all again.

Just wanted to note that the road was very icy in the morning and stayed that way for the return trip.  Chains were required on all non-AWD vehicles (AWD required traction tires) and a ranger was making inspections on the road below Christine Falls on the way up.  So get that snow gear on your cars 'cause the winter weather is here!

Jeanette, thanks for pointing out the ptarmigans, they reminded me of the fine Thanksgiving meal we had last Thursday  Grin

-Doug O
Robie

« Reply #5 on: 11/28/05, 12:54 PM »

We were looking hard at pillow talk on Sat very late in the day.We thought it might not go yet. Glad you got it!
Damn near showed up at tall timbers but stayed home for chores.Next week it will be mucho better!
Who knows might even get to ski the Edgewood mts this week?

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
JW

« Reply #6 on: 11/28/05, 02:53 PM »

New movie tomorrow night Cool
« Last Edit: 11/28/05, 03:29 PM by JW » Logged

"You keep skiing, I'll keep filming"
allyson

« Reply #7 on: 11/28/05, 03:42 PM »

With our secret knowledge we headed east of Edith Basin...

and beyond!  you guys and your secret knowledge... Wink well done, well done.  sounds like it was a fantastic day.  

last week sunning and sipping cool ones on the beaches of Puerto Vallerta, this week skiing some of the best snow so far.  

and way to go from one paradise to another, j-net!

ps--jw--can't wait to see that movie...
Cool

snowshoe?? why would you??
JW

« Reply #8 on: 11/29/05, 01:59 PM »

That was a great day!  Sorry the light was kinda dark but here's what I've got........JW's Latest   Thanks to all for the great skiing and thanks to Ron for the great camera work!
« Last Edit: 11/29/05, 03:40 PM by JW » Logged

ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #9 on: 11/29/05, 03:21 PM »

Killer job with the viddy production, Jerman.
You just keep amazin' me at how quick you crank 'em out.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
JibberD

« Reply #10 on: 11/29/05, 04:41 PM »

nifty mcneat!! Cheesy

Love the ending Jerry, you self-effacing mother-scratcher.  You had a great day on your skis!

I'm looking for some tips on smoothing out my technique.  The camera doesn't lie, so let the insights fly...what to do, how to be, what to think, what to see...can you help me, anybody?  Who's the pro?  Give it a go and put this jibber in the know...  Come on, be a pal and share your powder tecniques with the bc freaks!

-Doug O
Mad_Dog

« Reply #11 on: 11/30/05, 01:02 AM »

Fun video J, btw that bit at the end was one of the best roll over pop-up's you've done yet!  What a great way to spend the day.

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
Scotsman

« Reply #12 on: 11/30/05, 04:36 AM »

Good stuff JW- Thanks for the effort you put into making these. We enjoy them very much Grin

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
Joedabaker

« Reply #13 on: 11/30/05, 03:31 PM »

Nice Viddy J-Dub!
Great fun without being on the trip!
Thanks for sharing-waht was that tune?
Joe
JW

« Reply #14 on: 11/30/05, 11:40 PM »

Joe that's  "Get in Line" (Bare Naked Ladies) Thanks for the kind words you all,it's fun to do Cool

ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #15 on: 12/05/05, 01:31 PM »

Here's a shot of the Scottsman ripping it up on that trip:
sIg*alQ5NTG1BbUKvF2wLkXkXP20JGYHS7epQwVQ/IMG_4211.JPG?dc=4675550575158107832" alt="" border="0" />

more shots from this trip uploaded HERE.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
JibberD

« Reply #16 on: 12/05/05, 03:54 PM »

Ron, nice shots.  That camera of yours is super.

Also, I like your "signature" quote from the Zapster.  I'll break trail for you cool cats anytime!!  And I'd say it's due.

Missed you at Paradise yesterday, but appreciate the cruiser in you that needs to explore new territory.  Nice work.

-Doug O
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.