Home > Trip Reports > March 24-27 Wendy Thompson Hut, BC

March 24-27 Wendy Thompson Hut, BC

3/24/15
Canada BC
Posted by andyrew on 3/30/15 4:34am
Headed up north to BC and the Cayoosh Pass zone mainly to be able to make a basecamp up high in someplace besides a tent.  Route to the hut is skinable and skiable from the road, but pretty thin and squirrelly until above 1600 meters.

2+ meters of snow in upper Marriott basin.  Pow on all but east aspects on 3/24, with warming conditions, snowfall and variable whiteouts on 3/25, eventually turning to rain on 3/26.  Got a quick and surprisingly enjoyable run on refreezing raincrust and/or shmoo on 3/27 in the sunshine with great views all around.  There was a layer of facets buried 40-50 cms deep that gave moderate (CT17) results on east aspects before the rain and warming.  At some point during the rain/warmth almost every north slope in the basin with sufficient convexity avalanched its most recent snow (maybe on the facets layer?)

Overall, a great time despite being a day too late for the best skiing.  Lots of ideas for future trips.
WT Hut I have fond memories of.  I spent five nights there and it snowed over two and half meters.  Over a meter fell one night.  Needless to say it was a continuous week of face shots.  The only scary part was half the time I was solo.  Sometimes folks were too scared to come in due to the avvie danger and with good reason.

Too bad about the rain, but at least you got a couple of good days.

Reply to this TR

march-24-27-wendy-thompson-hut-bc
andyrew
2015-03-30 11:34:42