Home > Trip Reports > 29mar2015, old mike and wheeler, nm

29mar2015, old mike and wheeler, nm

3/29/15
Posted by skykilo on 3/29/15 12:29pm
Skied two 13ers near Taos today.

Conditions were great for kicking steps.

Saw some Bighorns.

Micah on skins near the summit of Old Mike

Skiing some NM alpine stuff, was not the perfect powder I had hoped but good anyhow.

Turns down the southwest side of Wheeler were really creamy.  Taos Ski Valley in the background on the right.
Nice!  Looks like a sweet spot with some great scenery!

Nice.  Coverage looks as thin as those droppings in the lower right of the last pic!

Would these peaks have coverage at the end of April? I've got some work to do in Taos then and am wondering if I should schlep my kit. It would be sweet to ski a new state!

April is a great time to ski Lake Fork Peak and Sin Nombre.  Lake Fork Peak is in the background of the last picture; Its north face drops into that bowl and it holds snow really well.  Access couldn't be easier.  Drive to 10,000 ft, skin 2 miles to just before the lake around 11,000 ft, then crank up the peak which is almost 13,000 ft and enjoy a nice descent.  If the Bavarian is open then you can ski right to the deck and have a liter of choice beer and some schnitzel.

Lots of great skiing a couple hours north on the 14ers of the Colorado Sangres as well.  (Short answer: end of April is very good for high alpine BC around here, possibly the most ideal time.)  Drop me a line and I might join you.

You had me at schnitzel.
I love tours that end at bars rather than slide alder groves! I'd be happy to pick up a partner if it works out for you, I'll send a message when I get my itinerary sorted.

Reply to this TR

29mar2015-old-mike-and-wheeler-nm
skykilo
2015-03-29 19:29:54