March 24-25,2015 Crested Butte,CO Fresh Powder

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2015 21:06 #224309 by Zap
March 24-25:
We arrived at Crested Butte town and watched the sun set and some clouds arriving. The forecast was for 2-4” overnight and then sun. In the morning we took the free shuttle bus from town to the resort.

They did receive 3” of powder and at the upper lifts another 2”. We skied the groomers with the new snow – fun; the ungroomed trails were not so fun. It has been years since our last visit when there was 12” of new show. We met a few locals who said the snow-pack was lower than normal. We noticed that there is a younger generation in the town. The town homes are old with great colors and unique accessories. The main modes of transportation are bikes and walking. The bikes are old, new, city, mountain, and many had snow tires. We never saw anyone lock their bike. Young parents with their kids were everywhere. It was great to see the “younger folks”. We wanted a good hamburger and Jill asked a young mom who was with her kids (we had all just bought Girl Scout cookies) for a recommendation. She pointed out her favorite, The Last Steep bar and grill – and she was right. Great hamburgers and draft beer.

March 25:
The ski report was 1” overnight and some snow in the morning followed by sun. It was cold that morning so we added some clothes. We got to the lift early (after taking the town shuttle bus again) and it was snowing hard. We were on the seventh chair and had snow covering our clothes on the lift. The kids behind us skied back towards the resort area, and we broke trail to the untracked lines. As we went higher there was more new snow - 5-6” of fresh powder over groomed terrain. For the first 2 hours we skied untracked powder lines. It was so much fun to be skiing figure eights and spooning. I would take a line and stop to see where Jill was and I couldn't see her. Then I looked to my right and she was standing right next to me with a big smile. Her only comment was “let's do it again”. It is so good to have your ski buddy also be your partner. It is fun to take a line in the right side of a trail and see her on the left side. Crested Butte is a wonderful town and resort; it's very easy-going with friendly 'locals'. Plus we skied free by using our Powder Alliance Fusion Passes from Timberline.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2015 22:17 #224310 by ddk
Yee Haaa...great report...

More
28 Mar 2015 21:43 #224325 by Griff
Sounds like a lot of fun Zap. We were supposed to there for comp this weekend but it was cancelled. Just not enough snow in the Extreme zones for a comp.