Home > Forum > St Helens conditions?

St Helens conditions?

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
25 Mar 2015 11:08 #224290 by kamtron
St Helens conditions? was created by kamtron
Hey folks, thinking about heading up there Saturday-Sunday. Anyone been lately? I'm expecting to walk until at least 4500', but was wondering if I could learn any more about conditions.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
25 Mar 2015 11:28 #224291 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: St Helens conditions?
Shit, I'm seeing "Snow level above 6000 feet" at www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mountsthelens/con...?cid=STELPRDB5291050

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Mar 2015 14:53 #224296 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: St Helens conditions?
Well, that report from March 23 is seriously outdated now, only 2 days later. Saint Helens got 1-2 ft of new snow over the past few days above 4000 ft, with almost a foot down to below 3500 ft as seen on the SNOTEL sites on the south side.

The Swift Creek SNOTEL (4440 ft) had zero snow as March 20, picked up a slushy couple of inches on March 21, and then over 18" new from the morning of March 23 through March 24 (ignore the 26-27-28 values, those are obvious glitches). Current snowdepth is still 15" as of now on March 25.

The June Lake SNOTEL (3440 ft) also had zero snow and missed out on the March 21 snow, but got over 8" new from the morning of March 23 through March 24. Current snowdepth is still 5" as of now.

It's still going to be a long walk to reach snow, but the conditions are certain to be a vast improvement over the most recent trip reports which had it barely skiable to 5400 ft down a gully over extremely dirty snow (might have seen those photos on Facebook).

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
25 Mar 2015 15:35 #224299 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: St Helens conditions?
Thanks, Amar! Anybody else been up there?

Glad we didn't go Paradise yesterday and wait at the gate all day....

• blackdog102395
  • [blackdog102395]
More
29 Mar 2015 21:40 - 30 Mar 2015 06:11 #224328 by blackdog102395
Replied by blackdog102395 on topic Re: St Helens conditions?
Went today: 3-29-15.  A very long walk to and from snow. Looked more like June or July than March.  Didn't check my GPS or map for elevation, but skinable snow starts at the weather station (at least I think it's a weather station) on the worm flows route.  Scenery was great as always.  Skiing was pretty good with firm conditions from the summit giving way to carvable snow back down to the weather station.