Home > Trip Reports > March 24, 2015, Ingalls Pass

March 24, 2015, Ingalls Pass

3/24/15
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by glenn_b on 3/24/15 1:20pm
Learned yesterday from NWHikers.net and wta.org that somebody had driven all the way up the N Fork Teanaway Rd and hiked to Ingalls Lake.  Checked it out today and, yes, you can drive all the way up.  We were in a 4x4 Silverado but I almost think my mother's Ford Focus with studded tires could have made it.  The road is mostly dry with intermittent snow/ice patches.  These were well-frozen but will become messy when things warm up.  We hiked the old trail to ~5000' and then skied up to a windy Ingalls Pass for lunch.  Mostly sunny, mixed with clouds and snow flurries.  Skied into Headlight Basin for tea and better views of Mt Stuart.  Lots of bare ground down low there with skinny ribbons of snow, interrupted by rocks, low in Ulrichs and Cascadian couloirs. Get on it quick; it's going to be a short season here. 
any pics of Stuart?  I had kinda written off trying to ski Ulrichs or Cascadian this season but now you've got me curious just where the skiable snow might start-  I assume its bone dry at the bottom of Ingalls Creek and a fair ways up the south side of Stuart.   

Sorry, no pics but the lower slopes are bare up to about 6000'.  Snow in the gullies goes somewhat lower but looks boney, especially Cascadian.

Nice one Glenn!  Glad to hear you're still adventuring around up there.

We tried to ski Ulrichs about a month ago, but pulled the plug when we discovered that the snow was too thin to ski below the Cascadian.  I'd imagine it's totally bare by now. 

Thanks for the tip! Did pretty much this same tour yesterday. Trailhead was easily accessible in an Outback. Put skis on at ~5000' but the solar aspects of the summer trail are melting out fast and there's now a second bootpack in the middle of the ascent. Headlight basin and the north aspects will be in good shape for a while though. Snowshoer in the party did not appreciate the miles of sidehilling on the way up to the pass.

No update on Stuart - the clouds dropped below us when we crossed over into the basin so I couldn't get a photo.

Stuart from Bean peak today

Nice work! This has been on my radar as of late. Suppose I'll have to wait to see how this system comes down.

Wow it's so thin. For comparison's sake... Here's a photo I took on 3/19/2000 from the top of Earl Peak, with a 4x5 view camera and Fuji Velvia.  Too funny.  Those were the days.

Reply to this TR

march-24-2015-ingalls-pass
glenn_b
2015-03-24 20:20:44