Home > Forum > Guide recommendations

Guide recommendations

• westseattle
  • [westseattle]
More
23 Mar 2015 00:24 #224259 by westseattle
Guide recommendations was created by westseattle
Hi All,

I'm trying to put together a holiday for some European tourists next year that includes some backcountry skiing in the Cascades. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a mountain guide(s) who knows Baker really well and also someone who knows Ranier (even better if the same person). Fully qualified and insured only, please. This would be for straight touring / skiing. No backcountry training required.

I'm also potentially looking for a free ride coach to spend a day or two with an adult group to introduce them to / start getting them comfortable with some small free ride moves / jumps.

Thanks
Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2015 09:05 - 24 Mar 2015 09:12 #224260 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Guide recommendations
I've spent a good chunk of time in the snow with Oyvind and he would be my first phone call to find out if his company can do what you want.  Here's a link: www.northcoastalpineguides.com/about-us.html

AAI is the natural go-to for all things guided in the Bellingham area, they're worth calling to find out if they work on Rainier too.  www.alpineinstitute.com/

John Minier from Mt Baker Mountain Guides is very active in the Baker area.  I've heard mixed reviews from people that have taken avy courses from him but everyone agrees that he's passionate about touring and it looks like he works on Rainier too.  mtbakerguides.com/

Hope this helps.

**Edited to add that the mixed reviews on the avy courses were primarily that the touring aspect of the course was above the experience level of some of the people I know who have taken the course which made it hard to focus on the avalanche education. There was no criticism of the avalanche education on it's own. Based on that I expect anyone actually interested in touring with John would be happy.**

More
23 Mar 2015 09:07 #224261 by DonD
Replied by DonD on topic Re: Guide recommendations
Talk to Martin Volken (425-888-6397) who owns Pro Guiding Service in North Bend. I've done many, many trips with him and have had one positive experience after another. He and his guides are highly trained, extremely competent, and truly care about ensuring their clients are both happy and safe.

Don

More
23 Mar 2015 12:14 #224263 by PhilH
Replied by PhilH on topic Re: Guide recommendations
Ditto on Martin Volken. He wrote the book, literally.

Also, Olivia and John Race at Northwest Mountain School in Leavenworth are top notch.

www.mountainschool.com/

• everestbill
  • [everestbill]
More
24 Mar 2015 05:47 #224271 by everestbill
Replied by everestbill on topic Re: Guide recommendations
Ann Keller

More
24 Mar 2015 08:38 #224274 by mcohen
Replied by mcohen on topic Re: Guide recommendations
I would strongly suggest John Minier and Mt. Baker Mountain Guides. They tour in the area regularly, know the local and current snow conditions, and are a great mix of fun and professional. You won't be disappointed.

More
24 Mar 2015 09:14 #224276 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Guide recommendations
A couple of people have asked me about my "mixed reviews" comment. I updated my post above to clarify. I have no doubts that touring with John would be an excellent experience for someone looking for a ski touring guide.

• kurthicks
  • [kurthicks]
More
24 Mar 2015 10:32 - 29 Mar 2015 06:10 #224279 by kurthicks
Replied by kurthicks on topic Re: Guide recommendations
Fully qualified (IFMGA) Mountain Guides that live in Washington with extensive Baker experience (in no particular order):

Martin Volken - Pro Guiding Service
Chris Simmons - Pro Guiding Service
Lee Lazzara - Mt. Baker Mtn Guides and others
John & Olivia Race - Northwest Mountain School
Jeff Ward - North Cascades Mountain Guides
Larry Goldie - North Cascades Mountain Guides
Margaret Wheeler - Pro Guiding Service
Lyle Haugsven - North Coast Alpine Guides
Nick Pope - Northwest Mountain School
Aaron Mainer - Cascade Powder Guides and others

More
24 Mar 2015 14:20 #224282 by BenJ
Replied by BenJ on topic Re: Guide recommendations
I recently took a avalanche course from the Mt. Baker Mountain Guides, and it was a very good experience, I would definitely recommend them.