Home > Trip Reports > 2015mar20-22, santa fe, various

2015mar20-22, santa fe, various

3/20/15
Posted by skykilo on 3/22/15 10:44am
Nuestra casa is only fifteen miles from Ski Santa Fe, but this is the first time I've been motivated enough since closing on it (Feb 2014) to go skiing up there three days in a row.  It probably helped that my dad drove the first two times.

Friday it was still snowing up there after about a foot of new, WaWa style, heavy powder that made squeaky sounds while skiing it.  Took the old man on a tree run just north of the ski area.  He's learning how to ski powder (and all the other varieties of snow that come in the wild).  Yesterday we did it again even though it was affected.  The trees were dripping so much from melting snow, it seemed like it was raining at the beginning.  There was a definite maritime feel to the turns.

Today I headed up there by myself right after the lifts closed.  This is the best these peaks have looked since I've been watching them.  South faces rarely hold snow in New Mexico!  Had a nice run in the late light while the snow was still soft. 

Santa Fe Baldy, Deception (false summit of Lake Peak), and Penitente. 

Had to stop on the road on the way up there due to a helicopter evacuation.  It seemed like a good idea to change from shorts into ski pants while we waited.  The hombre in the truck behind me was pissed!  It didn't even register at first.  This was some potent combination of prude chivalry and pugancious machismo.
"Hey man put your pants back on there's a lady in here!"
"Put your f'ing pants back on!  You don't do that in front of a lady!"
"You're a f'ing dumb ass!  You don't do that in front of a lady!!!!!"
By the end the guy was leaning out the window and barking at me like a rabid pit bull.  I was relieved when they made a u-turn and drove away.
"Bad-ass ski family bares all during evacuation"  8)

Did ya give'em a proper moon?

Reply to this TR

2015mar20-22-santa-fe-various
skykilo
2015-03-22 17:44:28