Home > Trip Reports > March 21, 2015, Discovery Ski Area

March 21, 2015, Discovery Ski Area

3/21/15
Posted by silaswild on 3/21/15 11:52pm
After a three hour drive from Big Sky ending with four miles of dirt road, I was at Discovery's muddy parking lot around 5pm where the outdoor
read 60 degrees, yikes!  Fortunately the night weather was clear and temperatures dipped below freezing.  I was awakened by the morning groomer at work, and skinned up the south side of the area to reach the top just before the first lift customers but in time for a briefing by a nice ski patroller who'd moved there 35 years ago from Massachusetts. 

The corduroy was perfect so I got a lift ticket and took a run down the north side on dust covered icy bumps.  Contemplating my next move I was approached by a ski angel who was curious about my skis.  I admired her classic Volants and then followed her around for two hours to the "soft closures" of 2-3" settled powder over groomer runs.  Discovery's north side is a mini Aspen Higlands, great north facing steep runs.

Sadly I had to depart around noon to make the nine hour drive home in time for a nice dinner and up to date review of the NCAA basketball tournaments.  What a great month my safari has been, there was a benefit to Snoqualmie closing early after all. :)

If I recall correctly, Volant's first powder ski was the "Chubb".

Reply to this TR

march-21-2015-discovery-ski-area
silaswild
2015-03-22 06:52:07