Home > Trip Reports > March 19, 2015, Muir/Nisqually baked powder

March 19, 2015, Muir/Nisqually baked powder

3/19/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jtack on 3/21/15 1:26am
I know, another Muir report, but I could not resist, it was my fourth try, and it sure was worth the trouble.  There was a huge standing lenticular over the mountain, as well as a stack forming down wind, and a blowing snow was visible at camp Muir.  It was quick going to the top of Panorama Point, on firm conditions, my partner put on his ski crampons for the short steep pitch, but I was able to do just fine without. Above Panorama the wind picked up and grew progressively stronger as we gained elevation. At around nine thousand it was batten down the hatches, and trudge, stinging snow pellets had a bracing effect.  If the temps had been cooler, the wind probably would have ended the trip, but as it was we were able to stay warm and do just fine.  We shared a lunch and a visit with a nice bunch of skiers at Muir, and started our decent about 1400.  The first two thousand were just ok, variable wind board, with a little powder here and there for fun. The top of Nisqually was 3inches of sun baked powder and made for near perfect conditions.  What a fantastic line, so glad to finally have had the pleasure.  And thanks  to all the TAYers for your taunting Rainier reports!

Were you skiing any of the homemade boards? How did they perform?

Man, Saign and I were ready to call it until it went blue for the afternoon. Wind was howling at Cowlitz gap.

I did not take my new skis, I was a little worried about durability so I stuck with my factory skis, but I was sure wishing I had taken them by the time I finished.

Reply to this TR

march-19-2015-muir-nisqually-baked-powder
jtack
2015-03-21 08:26:23