Home > Trip Reports > March 12-15 McCully yurts, Wallowas, OR

March 12-15 McCully yurts, Wallowas, OR

3/12/15
OR elsewhere
Posted by kamtron on 3/16/15 12:59am
We got back last night from a fun couple days in McCully basin. Thanks for the invitation Bryan and Erika and crew! There were 10 of us up there. Snowpack at the yurts is about 4 feet deep, although the approach trail is melting fast and already has some carries.

Thursday and Friday were clear and warm. We skied a quick lap off the top of Aneroid peak Thursday before heading back to camp. Friday, we used the full day to traverse around the south side of that peak, since that was where the good spring skiing conditions were. Skied into Big Sheep basin and tagged a couple south-facing runs while working our way back to the south of Aneroid, then dropping from the top back to camp. Snow was corn on the south-facing slopes, wind-affected pow above 9000 ft on north slopes, gnarly breakable crust below that.

For Pi Day, we had a leisurely morning and ate a delicious pie that Meira and I brought in! The rain began that day and continued until yesterday. We took a short tour up Hidden, but the rest of the trip was spent chilling in the yurts (sauna yurt!) and trying to kick the pony keg (fail). It was an awesome trip, and I would love to be back there with powder!
Thanks for the report.

We pulled the plug on our trip scheduled for the week of March 22.  For past 5 years we have had dependable knee deep powder - this year we decided to pass on what we considered less than optimal conditions for the cost/drive.

Sounds like you made the best of it - I love that place!

Reply to this TR

march-12-15-mccully-yurts-wallowas-or
kamtron
2015-03-16 07:59:42