Home > Trip Reports > March 13, 2015, Anthony Lakes, Elkhorns deliver

March 13, 2015, Anthony Lakes, Elkhorns deliver

3/13/15
Posted by Kismet on 3/15/15 11:06am
Anthony Lakes once again served up splendid customer service and back country skiing.  Yes, hard to imagine but check out the photos if you don't believe me.

We skied mostly N NE aspects. Snow was wind buffed with occasional stashes of giddy old powder and occasional breakable crust. I didn't seem to find any of this crust but my friends did :D.

I spotted the March 1st skier-triggered

I was given first turns on the Lakes Lookout/Lee's peak bowl. 

Nothing prettier than a tele turn. Completing ( 8 ) my turns

Lee's Peak ramp

More pretty turns

Bring a tripod and real camera to score great photos of the million stars & gunsite peak, hoffer yurt

Our very estimated ski route in red, not from real waypoints. 
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eJpmOuMCDP4/VQYWuBTlqwI/AAAAAAAAC7Q/WnpWUFXoTFg/s800/Anthony.png" />

Thanks for the report! Looks great, the Elkhorn's have been on my to do list, the snow looks better than anything I have skied in awhile.

Nice. We've taken 4 trips over there this year which produced 10 or 12 powder days. It's a bit of a drive, but not many alternatives this year short of trip to Vermont. The last time there we even bought the $199 special for new season pass holders for next year, and have already gotten a day's use out of it. We were in Angell Basin on Mar 2nd and noticed that slide. Long crown above a pretty obvious slide path that I doubt I'd ever ski. Pretty easy to avoid that side while climbing up the basin.

Also, we were there just after Christmas during the holiday week and experienced maybe the best inbound conditions in many years for me. The one day we arrived in the parking lot and it was +3F and dumping with a bunch of new snow already fallen from the last couple days. It was deep. And the lift lines? Supposedly a busy day required a wait of maybe 4 or 5 chairs. Most other days it's just skiing straight on to the chair.

They have a really nice little nordic system as well, that is well groomed for skating and track.

I really love the place.

I finally skied Anthony Lakes for the first time this past December, sometime between Xmas and New Years.  I had thigh high pow pow that day in Angell Basin (and I am not a midget)!  I love the Elkhorns and Wallowas and hope others appreciate & respect their magic as much as I have.

Nice report!  I'm Jealous.  Perhaps I'll get to join you next time eh?  I've driven by there countless times drooling.

Reply to this TR

march-13-2015-anthony-lakes-elkhorns-deliver
Kismet
2015-03-15 18:06:20