Home > Trip Reports > March 13, 2015, Ruth

March 13, 2015, Ruth

3/13/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by danpeck on 3/14/15 12:57am
We enjoyed a quick walk with our skis up to Ruth yesterday.  The weather stayed nice but we could see the approaching front and clouds did keep the sun from getting too strong.  Probably a good thing.

We hit snow around 4600 just below Hannagan Pass.  Seems to be the standard snowline these days.

Firm but skinnable conditions.  Everyone used ski crampons on the way up except for me and I didn't have any trouble getting my edges in.  Wide skis or split boards would benefit from the crampons.

On N. Facing aspects above 5800 the snow was preserved cold wind affected snow, and quite fun to ski.  Below that it was warm enough for the corn to be harvested.

With the low snow pack we had some exit adventures and decided to take out the rope for a short rap.  Two of us even managed a 6 foot cliff jump into snow. 

All in all this area blew me away with it's beauty.  I have been wanting to get out on Ruth for about 5 years now... especially to gaze into the exit/entrance of the Northern Pickets... another goal.  I was also thinking of trying the Nooksack traverse, but the objective hazard this year is clearly not worth the try.

more pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danpeck/sets/72157651333862302/
Dan, what is the road status? Still closed at the Goat Mt. TH?
Thanks for the trip report.

We drove all the way to the end of the road.... to the Hannegan Pass TH.  There's a sign that says the road is closed due to road damage.  But we found no road damage and just kept on driving.  Not sure why the sign is there honestly.

Thanks! The website says the road is OPEN but then goes on to say: "Road closed to vehicles at mile 2.5 (Goat Mountain Trailhead) due to landslide and water damage. Road snow free. Hannegan Pass Trailhead at mile 5.0. Status Updated:02/20/2015"

I guess the FS does not have the funds to keep information updated properly :(

Wow, that's a long walk for Ruth in March! But it's beautiful in any season, well done getting it.

In the early summer we typically go down into the valley and survival ski as far as we can before crossing the creek and bailing up to the trail - looks like that's going to be not even close to possible this year.

James. I'd say you are right. Not even possible. We skied pretty much as far as the snow took us which was about 4600

Reply to this TR

march-13-2015-ruth
danpeck
2015-03-14 07:57:53