Home > Trip Reports > March 13, Squaking Sweet Corn

March 13, Squaking Sweet Corn

3/13/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Chrols on 3/13/15 12:27pm
I toured up the Squak today expecting a bit more sunshine than there was.  It turned out excellent though.  The skin up was on a very hard surface, no more than a millimeter of ski penetration.  At 10'000' I did not like the spot I chose to cross the shrund, so I decided to call it as I was solo.  I was just about to lose the good light too, and did not like the thought of the descent in flat light.  The wall skied pretty bad, wind board powder and not smooth but, below the crater it all changed.  I enjoyed nearly 5,000' of perfect corn, about an inch in depth (real corn) on a buttery smooth hardpack surface.  It did not even get sticky towards the bottom.  The time of descent was from 3:00 to 3:20, filtered sunshine and not much wind.  Not sure the temp, but warm.  About 2.5 miles of snow free trail on the approach.  Hope to go back for more next week.  It's not often you can rail super g for 5K - love it.
I have not had even close to that run this year, and I am green with envy, nice work!

Reply to this TR

march-13-squaking-sweet-corn
Chrols
2015-03-13 19:27:42