Home > Trip Reports > March 8, 2015, Sahale Arm

March 8, 2015, Sahale Arm

3/8/15
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by dub_xion on 3/9/15 1:51pm
Rationalized my 8am start at mile 21 that it was actually 7am. My first time up the arm. Followed previous bootprints up the summer trail instead of heading up the head of the valley and was able to boot on mixed dirt/firm snow to Cascade Pass. A couple steep sections on the traverse across to the pass that would probably best be done w/ boot crampons. Probably would have been 6/half dozen, trail/skin up the valley.

Snow was already softening on the steeper slopes to access the Arm. Saw something like 3 tents, but I think they all were climbers. Spied tracks across lower flanks Mix-Up peak connecting to Cascade Pass, but unable to tell if they were boot or skis, maybe someone was on the Spider Mtn route?

Anyway, made it about 75' below the summit pyramid before deciding things were too soft and steep to continue up with just boots and headed down. This was just after 2pm PDST. Probably a 6am start would have been optimal. Creamy and very soft on the S facing slopes, then the descent off of Cascade was mostly refrozen in the shade by the time I hit it.

Tip for anyone in the near future: head into the valley uphill skin route at the second-highest switchback on the road at about 3700' and you'll avoid the minor schwackage to the summer TH, I skied to the road on the way down.

And, oh, some views!!!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8678/16744056246_1410ed5d80_b.jpg" />
Peachy, that photo of Mixup is. I wonder if the climbers you spotted were heading that way?

Ooooh.  Nice photos.  I'm hoping to nose around those parts soon so thanks for the photo of Cache col.

Reply to this TR

march-8-2015-sahale-arm
dub_xion
2015-03-09 20:51:07