Home > Trip Reports > March 08, 2015, Sloan Peak

March 08, 2015, Sloan Peak

3/8/15
Posted by Kenji on 3/9/15 5:53am
Not to miss any snow left up high on the NE slopes, David and I headed to Sloan. This time from the Sauk TH on the East side.  We had talked about skiing down to the trail directly in the NE basin, not this time of course.  Beside the trail has many booby traps to discourage skiers from reaching the snow.  The infamous log crossing was fairly straight forward, and we were glad to be on a nice well-defined trail.  There were several obstacles to slow our progress, but eventually we made it to the snowline.  Another 1000' lower snow would make much better suited for skiing, we did get a roughly 50:50 hike/ski ratio.

One of booby traps:

NE slopes:

Revenge of The telemarkers:

Glacier above the East slope, that we didn't ski:

It was a little high on the approach effort scale, but a spectacular alpine setting nonetheless.  More pics here.
do you have gps tracks for this?

Good one!  I've been eyeing those slopes for a while.

Nice work as always. I had to share that log picture on my Facebook Page!

author=savegondor link=topic=33864.msg139911#msg139911 date=1425938006]

I should have this one saved, but have to check.  I normally use auto-archive, since rarely reuse any saved tracks.  I'll PM you or post it when ready.

Looks amazing up there - great photos.  You guys really earn it on those North Cascades approaches.

During my recent trip to Glacier I was wondering, "When will Kenji make another trip to sloan?"  I was also trying to see the trailhead on our drive out... Doesn't seem like an obvious one.  Any pointers on finding it?

Love your photography, Kenji. Please keep sharing!

author=savegondor link=topic=33864.msg139911#msg139911 date=1425938006">

Hope this works!  sloan track on Hillmap

At what elevation did you hit deep snow?

Maybe around 4500'. In average snow year, you can easily follow a wide gully down to a meadow at 3500'.  that would be about 3000' of nearly fall line skiing!

Reply to this TR

march-08-2015-sloan-peak
Kenji
2015-03-09 12:53:32