Home > Trip Reports > March 1, 2015, Eldorado Peak

March 1, 2015, Eldorado Peak

3/1/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Haugs on 3/5/15 1:25pm
Spent the night up on the glacier, then summited on Sunday.  Beautiful conditions.  Things were a bit crusty up above 7800 feet.  Snow started to corn up a little lower, making for good turns right below the Inspiration Glacier.  A few wind loaded slopes were easily bypassed right around the crossover from Eldorado Creek Basin to Roush Creek Basin.  Most areas were very stable.  Be careful on the talus field - thin snow was treacherous!
Nice, thanks for the report, and sweet panorama!

Sweet! Did you bring glacier gear? Any open cracks?

I was on Eldorado on Saturday and went through the talus in the dark in both directions.  We found the bridging to be good for us but it looked like a lot of the tracks that were from midday were left in much softer snow.  I'm usually pretty nervous around crevasses and I would say that they are very minimal.  There weren't any times I was concerned and there was only one that was open and it was near the summit ridge.  We stepped across a very narrow crossing in an obvious crack.

Agree with Jason4 - only saw the one crack up near the summit ridge.  We brought glacier gear, but ended up just being dead weight.

Reply to this TR

march-1-2015-eldorado-peak
Haugs
2015-03-05 21:25:56