Home > Trip Reports > 2-28-15, to 3-2-2015, Spearhead Traverse

2-28-15, to 3-2-2015, Spearhead Traverse

2/28/15
Posted by dmarzilli on 3/5/15 6:14am
My cousin and I did the spearhead traverse last weekend. It was really icy since BC hasn't had snow in awhile(as im sure you are all aware) but the weather was fantastic, so I was able to get some really good shots. We did it in 3 leisurely days, including the drive from Seattle. We used Volkens writeup for the route.

A few notes:
1) The couloir that drops you down to the Trorey glacier is currently an icy mess. We saw some tracks heading left and going around the cliff band instead of skiing down the couloir. Might be a better option until they get more snow or it warms up.
2) There is a 30 foot or so 4th class rock step as you traverse toward Refuse Pinnacle. The traverse below the step this has a bunch of open crevasses if you stay high.
3) Tickets are now $58 to get to the top of Blackcomb and is really confusing because you purchase a ticket that only works on specific lifts. There are 8? or so options. Would recommend giving them a call and figuring it out beforehand.
4) Overnight parking in Lot 4 was full, but apparently you can park overnight in Lot 5 as long as it isn't snowing.
5) Don't try and ski on ice with your boots in walk mode
6) Bring lots of down, it's cold

Video

https://vimeo.com/121397398

Sunset at camp the first night

Sunrise the next morning

Looking out toward Ripsaw

Don't remember where I took this but my favorite shot from the trip

Fissle Peak

Good shot of the route from the hut

Not sure of the name but impressive looking glacier

That's Cheakamus Glacier, ringed by Mt. Davidson. Mt. Carr and Castle Towers Mountain.

The backcountry pass is confusing, but you can ask them to put all possible options on so you can take the lifts that open first.
And thanks for TR!

Thanks for the report and nice pictures guys. Trying to do that this spring but really don't want to hit it icy. Still waiting...Looks like a storm is coming - so after that a few days...

author=runningclouds link=topic=33829.msg139802#msg139802 date=1425597002]
That's Cheakamus Glacier, ringed by Mt. Davidson. Mt. Carr and Castle Towers Mountain.

The backcountry pass is confusing, but you can ask them to put all possible options on so you can take the lifts that open first.
And thanks for TR!

Ah, thanks! One of the things I was most impressed with on this traverse was the vastness of the mountains and the size of some of those glaciers. Even though we weren't far from Whistler, it seems like you are in the middle of no where.

Good to know about the backcountry pass... The gal working there didn't seem to know much.

Reply to this TR

2-28-15-to-3-2-2015-spearhead-traverse
dmarzilli
2015-03-05 14:14:52