Home > Trip Reports > March 1, 2015, MRNP, Wilson Glacier

March 1, 2015, MRNP, Wilson Glacier

3/1/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kenji on 3/2/15 1:47pm
Chris, Radka, Dick and myself ended up touring on Wilson Glacier.  Original plan was to reach the upper part of Van Trump Park from Paradise then ski/hike out to Comet Falls TH.  To our surprise we were breaking a fresh trail on Nisqually and Wilson.  We instead decided to ski back down for not missing the powder found on the way up.  The glaciers were well filled in and provided an easy path up through and provided us interesting surroundings. We stopped around 9000' while another group of three went a little higher.  The snow was not crusty and mostly soft, but wind and sun affected.  It provided a fine mix of challenging skiing, a large part was stiff but breakable deep crust.  I think some section was sun-warmed now starting to freeze.  We did find wonderful soft powder along the way.  Chris declared the best turns he had this season, but Radka had a different take. Best to let them resolve the issue.  While we were taking time skiing breakable stiff snow, the other three just blasted through as if it was all nice powder.  We were really impressed!!

A beautiful tour through interesting terrain, some pics:

More pics here.
Wow! Stunning. Nice tour, nice pics, thanks for sharing!

The background photos-WOW.
Is someone driving a red/maroon Subaru?

Beautiful pics, as always. I assume you carry a DSLR because of the image quality. Or maybe a new-fangled mirror-less? I'm getting weary of packing the lbs of glass on my DSLR and am looking for alternatives. Just curious.

author=Kenji link=topic=33801.msg139692#msg139692 date=1425361657]Chris declared the best turns he had this season, but Radka had a different take. Best to let them resolve the issue.

Hah!  Radka has at least twice the number of ski days as me, that's where the discrepancy lies.  Also, there were only about 30 turns that were the best.  The rest were all pretty bad!

author=Zap link=topic=33801.msg139699#msg139699 date=1425395610]Is someone driving a red/maroon Subaru?

Yeah, that's our new Subie!

Hi Radka, are you using some kind of holster for your DSLR? I am intrigued by the set up, it seems a bit risky but it does away with zipping and unzipping the camera. Is it a commercial or handmade product? Thanks!

Ditto on the nice scene-setting pics!

Sounds like you guys may have had some breakable powder? I've skied a bit of that this season!

Runningclouds: I am using a system by Cotton Carrier. I have this type: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carry-lite-p/514rtl-s.htm

I clip the holster to my hip belt on my backpack. It's not ideal but so far I have not found a better solution - I am definitely open to suggestions as new things may have shown up on the market since I bought it. I do not like that my camera is exposed and unprotected. If I am worried that I may fall (snow, 3rd classs rock, talus etc.) or if it's very dusty, I put the camera in my pack. So far, I have not had any accidents and haven't damaged the camera with this system.

I know lots of people use a chest harness, but due to my female physiology, that's not an option for me as I can't see my feet using that system. On steeper slopes, I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to self-arrest with a camera on my chest.

Cotton Carrier keeps the camera on the side and out of my way.

author=PhilH link=topic=33801.msg139708#msg139708 date=1425400784]
I assume you carry a DSLR because of the image quality. Or maybe a new-fangled mirror-less?

I'm a weight-weenie and have switched to a mirroless several years ago.  Just got a Fuji XT1 last Fall when they kitted w/ 18-135mm, and liking it a lot.  

Jim, "breakable powder" is just right to describe most of what we had, with varying stiffness...

radka and Kenji, thanks for the feedback on cameras and carriers. I use a Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 for my DSLR. It's bulky and awkward but I don't want to fish my camera out of my backpack every time I want to take a picture. I think a smaller camera is in my future.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672948-REG/Lowepro_LP36185_0EU_Toploader_Zoom_50_AW.html

author=radka link=topic=33801.msg139742#msg139742 date=1425446043]
I am using a system by Cotton Carrier. I have this type: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carry-lite-p/514rtl-s.htm

Radka, thanks for the info, I did not know these holsters existed. One question that sprung to my mind right away is does not the camera move around as you are turning when skiing down?

I carry a small camera and it works fine most of the time. Sometimes when I see DSLR pictures from the backcountry I get envious of the image quality but it is unlikely I will ever carry DSLR on ski trips. But kudos to anybody who does, you are strong people, I know what it takes!

Runningclouds: Never had an issue with the camera moving around. It just hangs in the holster with the lens pointing to the ground. I don't think the camera has ever fallen out of the holster either. While quite simple, the system is pretty effective. I climbed N face of Buckner with my camera hanging on my hip, using two ice axes, carrying pickets etc.

I carry DSLR, lenses, filters, tripod...I get extra conditioning with my camera for sure  ;)

:) That's funny because I was going to finish my previous post with "And of course there are the crazy ones who carry a tripod!" :)
Very impressive nonetheless, I like dedicated people! Good luck shooting and looking forward to more awesome photos.

Nice photos! Route looks good.

I followed that link and saw they have a shoulder strap mount for smaller cameras that may work for my mirrorless camera. Does anyone have any experience with that strap?

Reply to this TR

march-1-2015-mrnp-wilson-glacier
Kenji
2015-03-02 21:47:37