Home > Forum > would you rather: break trail or follow a track

would you rather: break trail or follow a track

• christoph benells
  • [christoph benells]
More
02 Mar 2015 17:09 - 02 Mar 2015 17:12 #224057 by christoph benells
would you rather: break trail or follow a track was created by christoph benells
Would you rather... break trail through deep snow and be the only one out there, or  follow someone else's track and have the work done for you but see some other people/tracks on your slope?

Taking turns breaking trail with your touring partner is not a valid answer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Mar 2015 17:21 - 02 Mar 2015 20:00 #224058 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track
Is "move smoothly along existing track, whether broken by others or plowed by WSDOT, then break track toward something new" a valid answer?

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
02 Mar 2015 17:37 #224059 by dave095790
break trail. no question i would almost always choose to break trail and get to be the only group around.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Mar 2015 18:14 #224060 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track
With modern rockered tip skis and tech bindings, I'd rather break trail, set a good track on the best route, and not have to tread in someone else's poorly laid track, too narrow track, or iced out track.

More
02 Mar 2015 18:16 #224061 by davidG
breaking trail is a way better experience,  but if a track is there I guess i usually use it

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Mar 2015 23:42 #224064 by Jim Oker

breaking trail is a way better experience,  but if a track is there I guess i usually use it

More or less ditto, except I can't help myself but to get out and break if the track I'm following gets particularly boneheaded, unless it is an ultra-deep and heavy sort of day. Especially if we think we might do a second lap, or I have more than one or maybe two people behind me.

Answer also depends somewhat on the area and nature of the turnable slopes. I.e. if there is a wide ridge full of great tree skiing where every party can find their own quiet lines, I find myself enjoying a reasonably well-placed uptrack more and more as time goes by!

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Mar 2015 07:05 #224065 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track
I've noticed for the 1st time this year, skiers taking a snowshoer approach: breaking trail right up the most skiable slopes, ignoring well set tracks and seemingly breaking trail just for the fun of it, leaving a wasted landscape; maybe it is just the lack of snow this year.

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
03 Mar 2015 07:15 #224066 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track

I've noticed for the 1st time this year, skiers taking a snowshoer approach: breaking trail right up the most skiable slopes, ignoring well set tracks and seemingly breaking trail just for the fun of it, leaving a wasted landscape; maybe it is just the lack of snow this year.

It's the "progression" of the sport. People with no touring experience or mentoring "getting after it" once they've got their "Level I Cert".

I don't know how many times I've gone out with new folks who will start skinning right next to you in deep snow, like we're taking a walk in the park or strolling through the mall side by side.

That MV article earlier this season in Off Piste about taking a basic touring class is right on the money, just as important as an level one avalanche course.

More
03 Mar 2015 07:25 #224069 by Zap
“Skinning: The Tracks of the Tortoise” by Craig Dostie of Earn Your Turns.
www.earnyourturns.com/3779/skinning-tracks-of-the-tortoise/

More
03 Mar 2015 07:49 #224070 by Mofro

It's the "progression" of the sport. People with no touring experience or mentoring "getting after it" once they've got their "Level I Cert".

I don't know how many times I've gone out with new folks who will start skinning right next to you in deep snow, like we're taking a walk in the park or strolling through the mall side by side.

Well... good on you for taking the time to tour with newbies so often and be a mentor, I guess?

I lack the patience necessary to wait for people on the up or the down so I'm happy to break trail all of the time. Of course, if we are out touring and there is a trail already in place that's not dangerous or ridiculously inefficient (unnecessarily steep or too flat)  it makes more sense to utilize it than break anew.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Mar 2015 08:11 #224071 by Gary Vogt
Thanks for that fine link, Zap! 

I agree with Andy that there is an increasing trend to make multiple skin-tracks around Paradise.  Most of these would flunk the Canadian ski guide's exam.

In a busy area I like a mellow uptrack that leaves the best lines for descents.  Also consider you will be followed by crowds of sheep-like snowshoers.  Saving energy is also backcountry skiing safety, and conserving snow will become increasingly important in a changing climate.

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
03 Mar 2015 08:22 #224072 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track

Well... good on you for taking the time to tour with newbies so often and be a mentor, I guess?

I lack the patience necessary to wait for people on the up or the down so I'm happy to break trail all of the time. Of course, if we are out touring and there is a trail already in place that's not dangerous or ridiculously inefficient (unnecessarily steep or too flat)  it makes more sense to utilize it than break anew.

Well I guess the side by side thing is from both personal experience and observing other parties. I usually suggest that it's a lot easier for them if they follow my skintrack in fresh snow.

I also don't like overly steep skintracks or tracks that ignore exposure and take up space for descents.

More
03 Mar 2015 09:16 #224073 by filbo
Break the trail.

More
03 Mar 2015 09:19 #224074 by Jason4
Usually I'd prefer to break trail but it depends on how well I know or have researched the area.  If I'm going somewhere that I've never been and I know and trust the person that set a track into that area then I'm ok following too.

I try to set reasonable skin tracks that usually follow the safest line possible to get to a destination but I have been guilty of setting skin tracks directly up fall line for 2 reasons: just for grins on those fun spring days when it seems like skins stick to anything and to intentionally discourage people from following my skin track but I think I've only done that once.  Usually I tour with my heel flat on my top sheet.

Edited to add:
I took the question to be "would you feel more comfortable going into an area that you know has other people or would you rather explore on your own?" but some of the answers seem to be leaning towards setting new skin tracks next to old ones which seems to be a waste of space and effort unless there is a problem with the existing skin track (blown out kick turn, icing, poor line choice in the first place, etc).

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
03 Mar 2015 17:11 #224082 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track
Breaking trail is quite enjoyable exercise for me, I also enjoy the challenge of setting a good "railroad" track in a varied terrain. But I also think less trail is better so I will follow when possible.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Mar 2015 18:28 #224083 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track
i forget

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Mar 2015 21:11 - 04 Mar 2015 18:24 #224086 by Jim Oker

... unless there is a problem with the existing skin track (blown out kick turn, icing, poor line choice in the first place, etc).

That's certainly along the lines of why I'd set new track when one is already there. And typically only in places where space is not an issue (i.e. not mis-farming the good turning slopes).

There is for sure something very fun about planning out and breaking a nice line through the terrain and views.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Mar 2015 12:34 #224091 by pipedream
Only on TAY would you find people arguing about the beauty of your uptrack. Then again, without much snow to play on and very little to refresh what's out there what else do we have to talk about?

I only break trail when I have to. Or when the person(s) ahead of me have made poor choices the night before. Don't crop dust me, bro.

• Kyle Miller
  • [Kyle Miller]
More
04 Mar 2015 13:36 #224092 by Kyle Miller
Replied by Kyle Miller on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track
follow someone's skin track for sure.

Unless there is a ski lift nearby, I would definitely go for that first.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Mar 2015 14:39 #224094 by pipedream

follow someone's skin track for sure.

Unless there is a ski lift nearby, I would definitely go for that first.

A man after my own heart. Glad to see you survived the land of the rising sun.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
04 Mar 2015 18:27 #224099 by Jim Oker

Only on TAY would you find people arguing about the beauty of your uptrack.

Not sure I've seen any such argument on this thread; I'm just seeing varied thoughts in reply to the OP, some of which quite naturally reference personal preferences about uptrack styles.

• christoph benells
  • [christoph benells]
More
04 Mar 2015 22:49 #224103 by christoph benells
Replied by christoph benells on topic Re: would you rather: break trail or follow a track

Edited to add:
I took the question to be "would you feel more comfortable going into an area that you know has other people or would you rather explore on your own?" but some of the answers seem to be leaning towards setting new skin tracks next to old ones which seems to be a waste of space and effort unless there is a problem with the existing skin track (blown out kick turn, icing, poor line choice in the first place, etc).

so the question really is, would you rather enjoy the beauty and solitude of being the only one out there, even if it means breaking trail through fresh snow, or would you rather follow someone else's track and save time and energy, but not have the same quality wilderness feel?

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Mar 2015 06:33 #224106 by Andrew Carey

so the question really is, would you rather enjoy the beauty and solitude of being the only one out there, even if it means breaking trail through fresh snow, or would you rather follow someone else's track and save time and energy, but not have the same quality wilderness feel?

I much prefer the solitude that is why I mostly ski midweek and mostly alone (and don't post many trip reports LOL).

• lrudholm
  • [lrudholm]
More
06 Mar 2015 22:57 #224138 by lrudholm

Would you rather... break trail through deep snow and be the only one out there, or  follow someone else's track and have the work done for you but see some other people/tracks on your slope?

Taking turns breaking trail with your touring partner is not a valid answer.

I'd rather follow.

I don't really mind bumping into a few other powderhounds when the snow is deep.

If its bluebird with a foot of blower pow and i'm out in the alpine, yeah... thats when I'd rather have freshies on the way up and down.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
09 Mar 2015 18:27 #224148 by JibberD
An education in public administration has trained me to say, "it depends."

This Ted Talk theory on intelligence seems to bolster the concept. Skip to min. 5 if you want to get to the heart of the matter.

Not being one with the brainpower of the fellow in the the Ted Talk, I kinda stick to my buddy's wisdom that, "you'll know, when you know."

More
18 Mar 2015 14:15 - 18 Mar 2015 14:19 #224214 by Schenk
If I am skiing alone and I am following tracks then the chances of tracked up slopes is higher...
so when skiing alone i prefer to set my own track
- Since I only ski alone about 50% of the time, due to safety reasons, I'll let the young bucks charge ahead and then smoke 'em on the last 100' and poach their line.
- For solitude and fresh tracks I prefer that I, or my party, are breaking the trail.
- If we're going into a popular area then we will save the energy and follow a track as long as it is a smartly set track.

More
25 Mar 2015 17:26 #224300 by RossB
It depends. I love breaking trail and sometimes it is perfect. I feel like I could do it all day. But other times the snow is just too deep and I realize that I'm miles away from my destination and sure wish there was someone else out here to share the love. This happens most on a road tour (like Kendall).

As far as making my own tracks, it depends on how the first were laid. Sometimes the tracks are made a bit too aggressively for my taste, especially if I don't have my skins on, but I'm depending on waxless. But even then I usually just follow the herd and put on the skins.

More
07 Apr 2015 14:50 #224367 by Schenk

are you being serious here?

Yes, I am serious, but I apparently worded it awkwardly.
50% of the time I am skiing in conditions and areas not dangerous or committing (at my comfort level anyway), the other 50% of the time a partner(s) is prudent.