Home > Forum > Base camp touring on Mt. Rainier

Base camp touring on Mt. Rainier

• bgombasy
  • [bgombasy]
More
02 Mar 2015 11:35 #224054 by bgombasy
Base camp touring on Mt. Rainier was created by bgombasy
does anyone have a favorite place to do some multi day touring on Mt Rainier? I was thinking Van trump park or something. I have 5 days to go out and ski, pretty sure I am not contemplating a summit attempt, just a relaxing multi day ski base camp. One day to ski in, 2 to ski area lines and tour around, and one day out.

Do not have the equipment to do a bike in, so that rules out White River and Mowich.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Mar 2015 12:11 #224055 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Re: Base camp touring on Mt. Rainier
One alternative might be Indian Henry's Hunting Ground.  It's a bit longer approach than Van Trump, but has the advantage 24/7 trailhead access from Kautz Ck. and less avy hazard on the exit if it dumps on you.  One of the entrance staff told me recently that the trail was snow-free to within a mile of the backcountry ranger station, the porch of which makes dandy bivy with snow block or tarp windbreaks.  There's even a waterhole out back that stays open most winters.   

More
02 Mar 2015 12:47 #224056 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Base camp touring on Mt. Rainier
one snag to winter-time overnighters around Van Trump is that the park service doesn't allow overnight parking at Comet Falls during the winter....even when there isn't a flake of snow in sight. Granted its been a few years since i've done a winter camping trip up there, could be worth checking again. Maybe they've adopted a slightly more civilized policy to use of that trailhead

I've gotten around this problem by getting the camping permit at the office in Longmire, shuttling everyone up to Comet Falls, driving back to Longmire and leaving my car, then thumbing a ride back to Comet Falls....and then doing the whole thing in reverse at the end of the trip. Keep in mind hitching is illegal in the park...don't let a law enforcement officer catch you doing it.

• Norseman
  • [Norseman]
More
03 Mar 2015 07:16 #224067 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Re: Base camp touring on Mt. Rainier
$.02 -

If you're set on Van Trump and willing to go through the hoops that Pete outlines above, it's worth knowing that the snow line along the Comet Falls trail was near 5400ft one week ago.

• bgombasy
  • [bgombasy]
More
03 Mar 2015 07:19 #224068 by bgombasy
Replied by bgombasy on topic Re: Base camp touring on Mt. Rainier
Hmmm, all good information, thank you. That kind of makes that one sound not as fun. I am now thinking of making a trip to the cascade river road, doing a night or two from the Hidden lakes lookout, then coming down to go over and make a climb on Eldorado. Unless there is a secret linkup, which by the looks of it, no. =)