Home > Trip Reports > 2/28/15: Alpy Rock Gardens

2/28/15: Alpy Rock Gardens

2/28/15
Posted by GregLange on 2/28/15 7:07am
Looking to get more uphill in this month, to mark the first and last days of February with snow time, I was hoping that Alpental held enough snow to make it worthwhile. KING 5 news reports from 2/27 did NOT make things look promising. But, snow-holics gotta get it somehow. Indeed, parking lot-level snow was about a 3" depth, barely covering stones small and large. The gap between snow was pretty easy to negotiate, and I was able to climb to about 4650 and find a really nice run just below the entrance into Shot Six. On the way up, I was hoping to just take the cat track to the top of Debbie's Gold, and proceed into Edelweiss Bowl. The conditions dictated otherwise, as there is NO cat track at this time. So, to avoid the rocks in and around the stream sides and beds, I went high, and just continued to climb. The snow continued to get marginally deeper and eminently softer. By the time the skins came off, I was able to ski down in what some (including me, on this gorgeous day...) "powder". As a beggar this winter, I figure I couldn't afford to be choosy. Although there was a nice crust underneath, the bonding was surprisingly nice, and good, soft turns were had until reaching where the cat track would traverse. I then made it down most of Eisfallen, and then traversed west into Dom. Only 1 small upclimb and creek crossing, and then back to the car via Sessel. AS the descent continued, the snow surface thinned and exposed more of those darn Garden Rocks. Surprisingly, though, base damage was minimal. An excellent morning, and only a few cars at the base lot when I finished at 8:15. Ride on, brothers and sisters!!
I skinned up to Edelweiss bowl around 1pm yesterday. Found a few knee deep turns on the north facing wall, reminding me I was skiing in shorts. Made a few laps on the upper font side, then picked my way down the rock garden to about half way down Sessel. I gave up and walked from there. Above 4000' coverage was good, below not so much. One core shot for the day.

Reply to this TR

2-28-15-alpy-rock-gardens
GregLange
2015-02-28 15:07:20