Home > Trip Reports > Feb21-22, 2015, Entiat Chelan Divide

Feb21-22, 2015, Entiat Chelan Divide

2/21/15
Posted by jtack on 2/24/15 4:19am
One of my ski buddies suggested a trip to the Chelan divide, but of course there is a catch, it's fourteen miles one way from the end of the road, all up hill.  A sled or three was in order, and since none of us are sled necks, getting there turned out to be the most trying parts of the trip.  Some of the planning emails add insight to the tale, one side of the conversation; "I have never driven a snowmobile, and I'm a mechanical midget"  the reply; "don't worry, they practically drive themselves". Well, within the first mile we had our first excitement. I got off the sled I was on to check the track and did not set the break. It took a little trip on it's own! But no worries, because one of my partners who had been driving a sled for all of three minutes by then, takes off like the lone ranger trying to hit the kill switch, while I ran down the road in ski boots and  pack!  One quit running, then we drove one off the road, then another. We built platforms, sawed limbs off trees, pulled on starter ropes until we almost passed out, built snow road, and when it was all said and done we were all back on the road not too much the worse for wear and able to laugh like mad men at our foolishness! If you have time to spare take a sled! Our original objective slipped away with the hours of snowmobile retrieval, and we moved to plan B.  We toured to the top of Crow Hill, and had some very nice mid boot powder off the north side, then over to Graham Mtn. for some spectacular views of the Sawtooth's, and Lake Chelan, with a firm but carvable run back to what would be camp.  It was a cool night, and we were ready to warm up with a trip back up Graham in the morning.  Most of the skiing was on firm conditions, but really quite fun. We did have some breakable crust, but we were able to avoid most of that.  This area is heavily used by snowmobiles, and we were witness to the unbelievable ability of snow bikes.  While I have read some about them, I was totally unprepared to see where they could go. 

in the danger zone unloading!

tree one sled zero

not the yellow brick road

things got better

snowbike tracks

Love the off-the-grid adventures you guys seem to conjure up!

wow - love this photo.
Looks like a great place to be.  Thanks for the write up.  Would have liked to see an action shot or two of driving off the road!

Tom Janisch using a sled for the approach?!  I'm stunned! This truly is an exceptionally odd winter. 

author=jwplotz link=topic=33751.msg139537#msg139537 date=1424875034]
Tom Janisch using a sled for the approach?!  I'm stunned! This truly is an exceptionally odd winter. 

And he was as nervous as he would be skiing the Triple Couleir in solid ice!

I'm with Rolfs.  That photo of Tom skiing above Lake Chelan is outstanding. 

Reply to this TR

feb21-22-2015-entiat-chelan-divide
jtack
2015-02-24 12:19:47