Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker - Easton Glacier

Mt. Baker - Easton Glacier

2/15/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by lukehumphrey on 2/23/15 3:05pm
High winds took us by surprise on the glacier and they got worse the higher we went, gusting maybe at 50-60mph past 8k.  NOAA forecasted 9-13 MPH on the summit.
The snow made for a less-than-ideal descent until near the tree-line - a mix of ice, breakable crust, and patches of powdery snow. Gray clouds covered up the sun and flattened out the light challenging depth perception. Snow was much better closer to the tree-line, a party coming down from the summit said it was icy and even windier up top (we turned around below 9k).

You have to walk to 4.5k from the Schreiber's Meadow trailhead.
Woah! That thing takes amazingly good video.

Heads up: Drones Banned in NPS System

Best be flyin that thing on the sly, as they're not allowed in Wilderness, Natl Rec Areas, Natl Parks.

Amazing!!  We had to stop our car and park one mile below that trail head and start skinning in July.  That is unbelievable!!

There was one area where you had to boot pack a bit.  There was also continuous lovely skiing from the top to the bottom for corn harvester's almost to the car.  Even the Roman Wall was nice and sugary.

Was that really a drone?  That is amazing.  Too bad you can not just grab onto it so you could eliminate the need for skinning.  That flick was great.

Excellent footage, very engaging.

Do you mean it is a 4.5k walk from the TH to snow, or a 4.5k walk from parking to the normal TH?

Pretty sure the 4.5k means you have to walk to 4.5k altitude, so something like 1k above trailhead.

Typical early July conditions and annoying because of the flat walk in the meadow where you're not gaining a lot (or losing a lot on the way home).

author=Norseman link=topic=33747.msg139488#msg139488 date=1424787784">
Woah! That thing takes amazingly good video.

Best be flyin that thing on the sly, as they're not allowed in Wilderness, Natl Rec Areas, Natl Parks.

Hmm,  been thinking of taking up skeet shooting in light of the lack of snow.  This way I wouldn't even have to pay for the clay, if those things get popular.  (forgive me if I am down on my gun lingo)

Great footage - since most of it isn't in Wilderness I don't see a problem. Too bad you didn't have better conditions up high - I'd like to see some good drone video up there.

I did not see your video nor do I have any firsthand experience seeing or using drones. But I applaud the NPS for banning their use by hobbyist. I wonder how this ban on hobbyist will affect the Park Service's own use of drones for research, etc.

Your post reminded me of the umpteeen aircraft I have seen and unfortunately heard over the last couple of days while seeking turns in the Olympic National Park. It is not uncommon to count 20 or more air craft flying overhead within a span of 5 hours. These are mainly commercial aircraft and navy Growlers.  The peace and tranquilty of the ONP and Olympic National Forest is seriously at risk.  Aircraft jet engine noise is becoming a serious problem.The National Park Service and the US  Forest Service and it's supporters need to address this issue as it is only going to get worse.

The navy plans to  expand their growler fleet and use the Olympic Peninsula for electromagnetic warfare training. 

Go to  http://westcoastactionalliance.org/ for more info.

http://www.ibtimes.com/national-park-service-maps-noise-pollution-while-studying-effects-visitors-wildlife-1818092

Ok, that was cool...  I see a drone in my immediate future!  Need to research, but can one follow you automatically/do they have a tether function?  As in set at "follow me from 100 feet back, 200 feet high, and don't fly into anything?"

Thanks,  Tony

author=Norseman link=topic=33747.msg139488#msg139488 date=1424787784">

FWIW:  Much of the Easton glacier lies outside the wilderness boundary -- it has been popular with snow-machine riders for decades -- which is probably why there is a wedge of the Easton outside the Mt Baker wilderness boundary.

No- not really. The closest thing might be the Hexo which was a Kickstarter project.

As to where you can/can't fly, this link might be the easiest to visualize these rules. A big problem for me is that they do NOT show federal wilderness as prohibited. I've submitted it (as have others) as feedback but it has yet to be incorporated.

author=Scole link=topic=33747.msg139562#msg139562 date=1424919712">

As to where you can/can't fly, this link might be the easiest to visualize these rules. A big problem for me is that they do NOT show federal wilderness as prohibited. I've submitted it (as have others) as feedback but it has yet to be incorporated.

Drones are prohibited in wilderness by Federal Regulation 36 CFR 261 18: Title 36 Part 261 - Prohibitions

Here it is simply lined out by Okanagan NF

And as stated before, they are not allowed in the NPS system, which includes the National Recreation Areas. The Easton and Squak lie mostly within the Mt Baker National Recreation Area.

The NPS announcement http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=1601

Mentions only PARKS -- not national recreation areas -- Norseman -- where are you getting the information about the ban applying to National Recreation Areas?

AFAICT the non-wilderness areas around Schiebers Meadows are administered by the Mt Baker Snoqualmie National Forest -- part of the Department Of Argiculture -- the NPS is part of the Department of Interior -- so how would a NPS/USDI regulation apply to an area administered by the NFS/USDA apply ?

Randy,

I drew my conclusions from a couple of news articles that I casually browsed earlier today (one of which is referenced above).

Upon further investigation, you are right, and I was mistaken about the following point: the Mt Baker National Recreation Area is one of the 24 NRA's that are administered by the Forest Service. The remaining 27 are administered by the National Park Service, and appear to be subject to the laws lined out in Title 36. Apologies for the confusion.

For the record, I'm not some sort of anti-drone zealot... I sorta want one for myself! I should've known better than to get drawn into an internet thread. I think the OP's footage is great, and I have no problem with drones in that area, or anywhere motorized vehicles are otherwise allowed. Carry on, pilot!

Food for thought - I'm glad his photos of some of my favorite peaks exist from a beautiful perspective.
http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1052652

author=lukehumphrey link=topic=33747.msg139581#msg139581 date=1424937844]
Food for thought - I'm glad his photos of some of my favorite peaks exist from a beautiful perspective.

Comparing drones to small aircraft (Scurlock) is a bit of a stretch to say the least.
Off the top of my head:
-  Did you go to flight school?  Were you required to have a license to fly your drone?
-  Cost: huge difference. A drone (or quadcopter) can be had for the price of a touring setup or less.

There is no doubt that the footage is stunning. So much so that they will no doubt become very popular, much like the helmet mounted GoPro. Left unregulated it is easy to imagine going on a tour of Baker on a beautiful day a couple of years from now with 50 drones buzzing about.  Given their mechanical airborne nature, malfunctions, not to mention user error, will become part of the landscape.
Mostly though it's the character of wilderness that is increasingly encroached upon by the proliferation of electronics, making it less and less wild. For those whose entry and passion is based on this visceral interaction between nature and self it's a sad development. For those whose entry is a glossy lifestyle image, it probably doesn't matter.

I have observed few drone operators around the city, and it seems to me there is quite a penalty to pay in terms of effort and time.

Personally when I compare the time and effort to take photos with a small camera (which I do on my trips) with carrying and flying a drone to document a trip it does not seem to make sense. I hope I am right and we don't see an explosion of drone use. The footage they take can be interesting but the noise issue is always problematic.

Cool video..looks like there's some low hanging fruit down to the deming :/  Suprised nobody has brought up snowmobiles in this area as a comparison.

nice footage!  thanks for posting.

were you piloting manually or setting waypoints? 

Cumulus you can charter a heli out of Darrington for a 3rd the cost of a real (non-toy) UAV and run circles around Baker if you want (while burning a bunch of fuel), but I understand your latter concern.

Sorry guys this is my first post here, not trying to be controversial, was actually hoping to be welcomed vs. someone threatening to use a gun. I figured non-NPS, snowmobile stomping grounds might not be the most controversial place to get some unique perspectives mountain lovers might appreciate or be inspired by, but def. understand/respect people have their opinions. I personally love and respect the mountains I've been climbing for years and enjoy when people pay homage with pics, etc. There's certainly a difference between that and some a-hole f-ing around with a toy blatantly spoiling others' experiences.

I modified my original post to just focus on the ski conditions if they're helpful, bailing on the thread for now!

Aw man, nobody meant to chase you off.

Of course there were differing opinions expressed here, but that's exactly the point of internet forums. I certainly learned a few facts from the discussion and I'm grateful that you started the thread, especially by sharing something you were proud of.

-S

Guys...he was flying it over the EASTON. As somebody pointed out, they allow snowmachines there. Those are a million times more annoying than a hobbiest UAV.

Wildnerness areas...that's different, feel free to skeet shoot at UAVs.

Though I'd recommend if you want to worry about UAVs, direct your attention towards preventing abuse of them by law enforcement, which is a far bigger issue than this.

We obviously need some snow since this TR has gone this sideways.

we definitely need more snow! but I don't think this thread is any more sideways than a UAV in heavy wind...

I wouldn't take any of the comments too personally Luke. You're in the vanguard; first drone footage TR on TAY ever! Fallout is to be expected...

Given that it's new technology able to access space previously immaculate it will (and I think it's healthy) create some push back. Good for you for sticking within the boundaries. My cautionary note above is in direct correlation to the seduction of the footage (not to downplay your skill in piloting which I imagine was considerable given the winds). The beauty of the footage (to be a bird!) unleashes many tempting possibilities, incursions, and obviously I'm not the only one who thinks so...  and with proliferation come problems, so I think some push back and future thinking (i.e. regulation) is good.

Other than that good for you for extending aesthetic boundaries! Unfortunately some boundaries don't overlap without collateral damage...

Dang,  I missed seeing the footage.  I agree with norseman,  Luke,  the back and forth banter here is not worth worrying about.  If I say pretty please,  could you re post the link to the footage?
Cheers,
Don

I agree with Rusty Knees. I just went to show the footage to my wife and it was gone. I don't see any issue. Thicken your skin up a bit and stick around. It was a wonderful vantage point. Work well done.

Ok, fair enough - thanks - skin thickened a bit.

Reply to this TR

mt-baker-easton-glacier
lukehumphrey
2015-02-23 23:05:45