Home > Forum > Advice sought - mounting twin tips...backwards?

Advice sought - mounting twin tips...backwards?

• ErikT
  • [ErikT]
More
22 Feb 2015 21:49 #223957 by ErikT
I have a heavily used and often drilled powder ski setup that I'm trying to mount with some dynafits to milk a few more seasons out of. The holes are very close to other holes, and in addition I'm installing quiver killers, so the hole into the ski is larger. I'm curious if anyone has ever mounted twin tip skis backwards? I mean... is there anything built into the flex of the ski that would make it super awkward to ski backwards? They're technically tele skis...

These are the skis I've got:   www.backcountry.com/atomic-janak-bro-telemark-ski

thanks in advance to anyone with thoughts...

Erik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
23 Feb 2015 12:09 #223974 by Randito
I also have a pair of Janak Bros -- I agree they are a full twin tip, but far from a completely symetrical twin. 

These wooden plugs and slow cure epoxy are great for plugging old binding holes and redrilling new holes nearby.

www.tognar.com/binding-hole-plugs-wood/
www.tognar.com/devcon-2-ton-epoxy/

Also, unless you are doing aerial spins in the terrain park (or off cliffs ) moving the mounting position 1/2 inch fore or aft isn't going to make a huge difference in ski response -- in fact if your intent is to ski powder moving the mount aft a bit might help keep the tips floating a bit better (except when you are riding fakie).

But really I would not worry about it too much -- fill the holes and then drill the new ones for the quiver killers and glue them in with slow cure epoxy and it should be fine.

• ErikT
  • [ErikT]
More
23 Feb 2015 12:16 #223975 by ErikT
Thanks all for the info - think I'll try sticking with the forward mount. The two original mounts that created all the holes were already set back about 6cm... which is consistent with what I've seen recommended for pow skis, but I may try to push that back just a little bit more to get some space around the new holes. No fakie or terrain park action here.