Home > Trip Reports > February 19, 2015, Sun Valley (Warm Springs)

February 19, 2015, Sun Valley (Warm Springs)

2/19/15
Posted by silaswild on 2/19/15 10:39am
Walked 50 yards from Carol's condo to begin skinning after the lifts closed at 4pm (no skinning allowed in the area 9-4.)  Took the cat track for about 1500', saw a winch cat in action, then skied down on fresh Roy.  Perfect après long drive ski tour and pre heated pool happy hour.  Getting soft in my old age.  :)
Confession: I had to Google 'winch cat.' Must be quite a ride standing on the dashboard of a snow cat going downhill.

Winch cats can be an unexpected hazard, too: http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2011/dec/08/steamboat-ski-area-warns-skiers-beware-winch-cats/

Silas, I'm not sure you're getting soft, just smart.

Yeah, winch cats are perhaps the greatest hazard to skiing a resort during off-hours. Skiing near a winch cat is perhaps also the best way to endanger uphill access, as the presence of public near a winch cat makes blatantly obvious the liability to the ski resort.

I'm sure you were careful, as you had an idea of what you were looking at. Nevertheless, when a winch cat driver sees a skier, he's thinking about you getting decapitated at speed.

We saw the winch cat from a distance while skinning. It was on a very long cable, I can't imagine anyone choosing to ski near such a system, and there are several other skiing thrills I choose to forego, too.  I'm lucky to enjoy moderation, thankful I am easily pleased.

This kinda of captures the scene around here....and snowpack is 107% of normal...very sun affected terrain.

Sounds like a great way to make the most of your day. That Roundhouse is quite the place.

Reply to this TR

february-19-2015-sun-valley-warm-springs
silaswild
2015-02-19 18:39:33