Home > Trip Reports > February 15, 2015, VERTFEST! ...kinda

February 15, 2015, VERTFEST! ...kinda

2/15/15
Posted by Jonn-E on 2/16/15 3:27pm
I showed up at the appointed time and place...and immediately noticed the field of competitors was kind of small.  Here I am at the start, feeling good about my chances of getting on the podium this year!

I was feeling pretty good until I hit the first bootpack. It looked simple but was actually quite technical; I really wish I had brought crampons!

After the first bootpack, the course avoids the upper reaches of Meister:

And regains the old route at the base of Debbie's Gold. At this point I am being doggedly tailed by stiff competition:

Climbing the obstacle course of Debbie's Gold was so brutal I couldn't take pictures.  Once the course punched up onto The Fan I was able to snap a pic up the traditional route:

Since the standard 2nd bootpack now involves 5.7 moves, the course deviates climbers left. Alas, in spite of my high hopes the conditions didn't soften where they needed to (or had already refrozen) and I DNF'ed somewhere in steep frozen moguls around Crossover.  The racer that was tailing me determinedly the whole time was also thwarted in this icy concave maze and we turned around and headed down Eisfallen. In spite of a couple soft turns on The Fan I can say without a doubt that the descent was the worst skiing I have done in years, and I am now concerned about how I will do on my hearing test in two days.

The après-ski was curiously moved from the base lodge to NBB&G, but I don't question the wisdom of Management. And when Management suggested I really ought to pick up the Cider Tab as repayment for poor life/Sunday-entertainment choices, I didn't argue.   ;D
Congratulations on beating a field of at least 103 skiers! Did the first place come with a brand new car from the race sponsor?

We all voted - you won the "Most Inspirational" trophy.

Too funny, nothing like some serious boiler plate to dampen even the most determined skies fun, thanks for the post.

great post man. way to get after it!

Motivated by your racing spirit... skinned to the top of chair 2 on Tuesday, February 17th (ski crampons required the whole way).  Rock hard boiler plate, rocks, bushes and small trees. Only soft snow was the top 2/3 of Edelweiss Bowl in the sun and facing ESE.  I was racing against the tower maintenance guy who was greasing the wheels of chair 2.  He said it was good karma to bring winter to the northwest... This year!  Hope he's right!!!

You are hereby awarded 1st place in this year's Dirtfest.   ;)

i think you get the sickbird award.

I won the Dirtfest Sickbird trophy of Inspiration?!

Thanks TAY!

Another impressive post!!!

Reply to this TR

february-15-2015-vertfest-kinda
Jonn-E
2015-02-16 23:27:53