Home > Trip Reports > Feb 8-13, 2015, Scottish Lakes High Camp

Feb 8-13, 2015, Scottish Lakes High Camp

2/8/15
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by mikerolfs on 2/15/15 12:31pm
I've heard rumors that Scottish Lakes is fine for dinking around, but if you want to ski, it's not the best.  Well I finally got in there, and I declare the rumors false!  There is spectacular skiing to be accessed from this gem of a cabin community.  I spent nearly a week there, skied every day, and left with the regret that I didn't have a few more days to go further in and ski some of the stuff I saw from the near distance.  I went with family ranging in age from 8 to 73 and everyone had fun.  My kids had their first real touring experience here.  My son, 8, has the endurance of an eight year old, but he did 2 or three small tours each day, maybe a half mile and 3 or 400 feet vert.  He thought he was king of the world.  My daughter, 10, started small and worked up to the McCue Ridge loop which is probably 3 miles and 1000 feet vert.  I was so proud you couldn't wipe the grin off my face with a turd.  Here are some photos from the trip:

Tag 'dogsledding' in.

Fresh snow on the deck, and little girl tracks leading to the cooler

Freya and Pappa Bob on a sunny morning

Freya and Mommy on the low road tour - working up to it...

Uncle Mike and I touring past Taggy and Mommy who are on their second short tour of the day

Freya leading the way on the McCue Ridge loop.  What a setting!

Freya and Uncle Mike on the same tour.  We're going uphill.  My 10 year old daughter is smiling.  I'm so proud I could burst.

Sara proud of her tracks on "mommy's gulley".  This is below "fun forest".  (not kidding).

Couples tour day, so nice to tour with my wife.  She takes care of her own skins thankyou very much.

Uncle Mike thinking about fishing on the way to Lake Julius

Foggy lunch at the top of "yoyo hill" (again, not kidding) with Dave R, who played patient tour guide for Mike and I one day (thanks Dave!!!)

Dave R at the top of "Tamarack", which is a sweet high spot in a giant basin with tons of great ski lines.  It was hard to pick just one.

Here is that one:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch..
Tag and Mom break at the top:

And then Taggy tears it up!

It was warm, which is bad for snow, but good for views:

Tag is no dummy:

Scottish Lakes has both a sauna and a hot tub that the cabin hosts heat up every day.  Delux.

And the cabins are nice too.  I'll be back for sure.  I saw things that now I can't forget and I have to go ski.  One is the basin near Chiwakum Mtn at the head of Glacier Creek.  There is a cirque there that deserves at least 2 days and maybe more.  I think you could get there in a day from the camp.  It was just so great, I can't believe I haven't been there before.
LOVE THIS, Mike!!! You guys are an inspiration for all outdoor families! :)

Great place indeed!  I think I see an Eric M hiding behind the goggles and hoodie in the first photo  8)

Reply to this TR

feb-8-13-2015-scottish-lakes-high-camp
mikerolfs
2015-02-15 20:31:38