Home > Forum > Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.

Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
09 Feb 2015 14:33 #223803 by OregonDead
Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit. was created by OregonDead
I'm considering a trip out to Anthony Lakes at the end of this week for some lift skiing. I have never visited there before. Does anyone have any info or advice on where to stay or eat or find the best price for gas? I'm looking to get an inexpensive hotel in Baker City or North Powder. Anyone know anything about the current conditions? They are reporting a base of 49". How do you think their coverage is at 49" ? Should I get my YLEs back out or just stick to the prophets I'be been beating up at Timberline? Also, I saw that this is race weekend on their calendar, does this matter, do they ever get a crowd? Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Feb 2015 14:42 #223804 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.
stay in Baker City, gas is stupid cheap all along the I-84 corridor, Grand Geyser Hotel is fine.

More
09 Feb 2015 15:05 #223805 by jtack
Replied by jtack on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.
I was taking to an instructor at Mission Ridge, and they had been talking to the mt. manager at Anthoney, and their conditions were not great , but they still had a fair amount of snow.  I would highly recommend Barley Browns brewery, they have a fantastic brew master(last year) and the selectin of beer and food at the restarant was fantastic highly recommended.  The Elk Horns look fantastic on Google earth, but not sure about the snow.  Go. Stay in Baker, drink pallet jack IPA, eat some of the fettachin, I think you will have a good time.

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
11 Feb 2015 17:38 #223863 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.
Anyone ever stay at the Motel in North Powder?

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Feb 2015 19:53 #223865 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.
great name but that town feels haunted.

• RyanPete81
  • [RyanPete81]
More
14 Feb 2015 21:06 #223898 by RyanPete81
Replied by RyanPete81 on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.
North powder motel does the trick for cheap and close but not much else in town, as has been mentioned above best food is found in baker city. Not a whole lot to the mountain, 900' of vert but the great mom and pop vibe and lots of excellent touring right from the lot.

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
17 Feb 2015 15:39 #223916 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.
Thanks everyone. I stayed in Baker City and found very inexpensive and serviceable lodging at the Bridge Cr Inn. Fridge and Microwave in the room and breakfast and coffee in the AM. The deal that all of the A. Lakes lodging partners have is 50% off coupons for their guests. This made it only $35 per day for both of us to ski.
Conditions and coverage were great IMO. It is my kind of terrain with tons of possible lines to ski. After 3 days I left thinking I need to make another trip to Anthony Lakes.

• nickwiarda
  • [nickwiarda]
More
17 Feb 2015 20:23 #223919 by nickwiarda
Replied by nickwiarda on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.

stay in Baker City, gas is stupid cheap all along the I-84 corridor, Grand Geyser Hotel is fine.

If you go back, I'm agreed on all except the Geiser Grand. Horrific owners with horrible service, lots of staff turnover and you get an attitude to boot. Just look over the Trip Advisor ratings if you want more opinions.

Apart from that Baker is a great little town with lots of options. The Best Western is a good option for lodging. Barley Browns has great beer, great food and has never let me down.

Anthony Lakes does a good job reporting snow levels and they tend to hold more snow than most places, I think you (or anyone) will have a good time if you're just looking for snow. The terrain is ok but it's a fun environment with lots of nice people.

Did I mention that Barley's has great beer?

• christoph benells
  • [christoph benells]
More
19 Feb 2015 21:00 #223932 by christoph benells
Replied by christoph benells on topic Re: Anthony Lakes ???s for a 1st visit.
the ski resort has some real sweet yurts...right at the bottom of one of those cool chutes. always wanted to stay there and ski that line back to a bbq and some beer at the yurt.