Home > Trip Reports > January 31, Hidden Lake Peaks

January 31, Hidden Lake Peaks

1/31/15
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by radka on 2/2/15 2:35am
We did a nice loop on the Hidden Lake Peaks, taking the summer trail up and the winter trail down. The road was driveable all the way the TH on Saturday, with a few icy spots.

We hoped for snow softening up in the afternoon for the ski down, but with increasing clouds and cool temps, that didn't materialize. Everything was frozen solid so we didn't even bother putting skis on for our hike up and just carried everything, hiking with our microspikes - which were very useful. The summer trail has some very impressive avalanche debris (down to ~4000'), given our low snow year. Not sure when all these avalanches occurred, but they took some trees with them.  The entire E Fork Sibley Creek drainage (summer route) is a serious terrain trap.  The snow in the drainage had a touch of frost hoar on it and felt slightly airy (lacking moisture).

We didn't climb to the lookout as the slopes were pretty icy and we had no ice axes or crampons. It seems that a better and safer way up would be to drop down at the saddle, cross the E facing bowl, and then take the E-SE ridge up to the lookout. The chitter-chatter/ski down was on firm snow - not that fun. We were able to "ski" down to 5000 ft at which point we ran out of snow. We then hiked the ridge down till we intersected the road about 10 minutes from the trailhead.

We did have really nice views, though, and really pretty clouds. I took an excessive amount of pictures, some of which I am sharing here:

Map:

Avalanche debris on our way up:

Sun dog:

Chris is pointing out the Ptarmigan traverse from the saddle below lookout:

Peaks along the Ptarmigan traverse:

Chitter-chatter down:
http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/2015/Hidden-Lake-Peaks-January-31/i-7zwMBRT/0/XL/RAD_7780-Edit-XL.jpg" />

The Pickets in the background:

Supercloud:

If this is not enough pictures (I doubt), there is more

Woah! Sweet clouds, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

it was a neat day to be out....it was fun watching that wx system roll in.  made for great clouds most of the day for sure.  it was like a 6hr long sunset or something.....  I was up near Eldorado that same day...

Reply to this TR

january-31-hidden-lake-peaks
radka
2015-02-02 10:35:16