Home > Forum > November 8, 2005, Baker

November 8, 2005, Baker

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
09 Nov 2005 01:35 - 09 Nov 2005 01:42 #211979 by snoslut
November 8, 2005, Baker was created by snoslut
It's 5am, I'm sitting at work writing this tr and still sporting a grin from yesterdays opening at Baker.  All over the hill it was Chuck Uras and Wipo Chin.<br><br>I showed up at Mike Hattrups (the boarder) pad just after 5am and cruised in the Honda.  Traffic was smooth until the White Salmon parking lot where it was snowing lightly.  Heather was closed so it was gridlock.  The lift ticket line at Baker was easily 2 hours long and stretched over a quarter mile.  Mike and I got lucky as many others who carried cash.  Once Gwen started selling tickets for cash people surrounded her in frenzy like pirahna.  Once tickets were purchased it was time for line number 2, the lift line.  It actually moved quick and soon Mike and I found ourselves strapping in.<br><br>Our first of many lines took us boarders left under chair 5.  Open terrain was getting tracked out quickly however untracked knee to waist deep fluff remained all day in the trees.  Our day could best be described as lines that could make you mental while running into friends and familiar faces all over the hill.<br><br>While preparing to drop a 10 footy in the trees, a boarder rode up and said hey I bumped into you at Rainier two weekends back.  After exchanging greetings it was tallyho into the whiteroom.  Even bumped into Kirk whom I met at Blackcomb and Tay'er Kelvin Wu.  Not long after we ran into Mike's bro Marcel Dolak, who introduced us to Jessie/Christina Burtner, and a slew of other industry riders.  It was officially a posse now.  As the day wore on, legs faded and the posse disbanded.  Myself, Mike, Marcel, and Jessie ventured off to find what was left of pow and there was still plenty.  <br><br>Even though Bakers a resort, today it was very backcountry-esk.  We both rode with a transceiver, shovel and probe.  You definitely had to watch where you were going.  It snowed all day.  Visibility was good in the trees but a bit flat light in the open.  While on the lift Mike and I witnessed numerous people digging themselves out of all sorts of terrain traps.  Also people getting stuck on top of drops or going off ones they had no intention of doing.  People on the lifts did there part to offer encouragement.  Come on, point it!  Point it!  It worked sometimes.  Didn't run into any serious instalbility issues.  There were the occassional sluffs here and there.  The canyons never opened so that area is still fresh even though we did see a few lines under the ropes.<br><br> ;D ;D ;D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Nov 2005 01:57 #211980 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: November 8, 2005, Baker
I was there too!<br>Absolute madness, they should change the name from "opening day" to the "Mt. Baker snowboard rally."<br>Snowboarders( not that there is anything wrong with that!) outnumbered skiers about 70/30.<br>Skied runs that I had never contemplated before as there was so much coverage and huge pillows that you could huck without fear of damage. ;D<br>Great fun, and slope consolidation avalanche control was completed by mid-day and then you really had to hunt for freshies.I am just glad that I could contribute to the skiiing community by helping consolidate the base coverage for future freshies. It's tough work but someone's got to do it!!! ;)

More
09 Nov 2005 03:49 #211981 by korup
Replied by korup on topic Re: November 8, 2005, Baker
Yes, yes, it was insanity. The lines were out of control, I was crying at my lack of cash... finally got on the hill at 10:15, still good powder stashes to be found, crazy deep, enough to swallow skis whole!