Home > Trip Reports > March 13, 2015, - Rainier Slope Map (GPS-enabled)

March 13, 2015, - Rainier Slope Map (GPS-enabled)

3/13/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by AC on 1/30/15 1:56pm
Hi, please read if you like maps, and Mount Rainier.

Using GIS software, I've assembled a smart phone enabled slope map that clearly identifies the terrain hazards and ski opportunities surrounding your GPS position while on Mount Rainier.  Designed for a ski mountaineer, by a ski mountaineer/GIS analyst, this map provides an unparalleled view of the intricate mountain terrain features, (as small as 1 meter) that surround your GPS position.

Simply load this map onto your iPhone, iPad, or Android device (after installing Avenza PDF Maps - totally free) to realize your surroundings in a whole new way.

My background is in ski mountaineering and GIS analysis, I've climbed Mt. Rainier as well as I worked for Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park as a GIS analyst.  I'm always interested in ways to use GIS data to enhance my backcountry skiing opportunities.  These smart phone based slope maps have allowed me to find and avoid terrain features on numerous occasions during my own mountaineering pursuits in southeast BC. 

I hope you find this useful for the Summit to Paradise zone on Mt. Rainier.  I am very interested in any feedback or questions.
Map is designed to be used on smart phone app (Avenza PDF Maps)..

best regards!
ac

download map from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebjajtytxpav75n/GPSki_MORA_P.tif?dl=0
My dream just came true, I am downloading your map and the app as I type. Can we have one for Baker please?

author=runningclouds link=topic=33546.msg138812#msg138812 date=1422733749]
My dream just came true, I am downloading your map and the app as I type. Can we have one for Baker please?

hey, glad you like it! sorry to say, no on the baker map.
many reason exist for my excuse, one of them is data availability, other is I made this Rainier map for myself then just decided to share it with a crowd that could  hopefully get some use from it..

I've heard of an app that overlays slope classes over topo maps and am wondering if that could help you for Baker?   

peace.

since we're nerding out.. you guys know of this snow change detection mapping service with daily updates?  have a look, it's low resolution, but very useful in decision making under certain scenarios.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index.html?year=2015&month=2&day=10&units=e&region=Northwest

The link doesn't seem to be working. 404

Hi Brian,

Sorry, took it off as I'm trying to sell it on the Avenza Map Store.  You can access that from within the Avenza PDF Maps app, just search on Rainier Slope Map or similar.

but because I'm a bad capitalist, I'll put it back on the site for you to grab for free.  If you like it perhaps let your friends know it's available from the Avenza store for $2.99 usd.

thx for the interest!
===============
go to this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/po8qr2brqpwfo64/AAB-8OeEveX1PzPhBqwTttV3a?dl=0
download this file:
GPSki_MORA_P.tif

Reply to this TR

march-13-2015-rainier-slope-map-gps-enabled
AC
2015-01-30 21:56:15